CAMPOBELLO, SC (WSPA) - A suspect was shot and killed after a struggle with deputies following an armed robbery at the Dollar General on Highway 11, Friday morning.
The suspect has been identified by the Spartanburg County Coroner's Office as Douglas Marrickus Rainey, 32 from Anderson.
According to the Greenville County Sheriff's Department, deputies chased Rainey on foot before they lost him.
The suspect was spotted by a resident on Links Drive just before 1:00pm and Spartanburg and Greenville county deputies searched the area.
A K-9 handler and K-9 saw Rainey running into the woods and when they caught up to him he began to fight the deputy and his K-9, according to investigators.
When the handler realized the suspect had a gun in his hand, he yelled to other members of the search team that he had a gun, according to the Sheriff's Department. Deputies say one of the other members of the search team fired at least one shot, hitting and killing the suspect. The suspect was pronounced dead at the scene.
Greenville County deputies say the case will be investigated by SLED and the Spartanburg County Sheriff's Office.
- Copyright 2018 Nexstar Broadcasting, Inc. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.
- Woman on meth assaults passenger in school drop-off line, say Spartanburg Co. deputies
- Mississippi imposes 15-week abortion ban; nation's toughest
- 48th Bassmaster Classic at Lake Hartwell breaks attendance record
- Lockhart Schools had passed life expectancy, said study