GREENWOOD, SC (WSPA) - A 16 year-old boy has been arrested in the murder of a 15 year-old boy, according to Greenwood Police Department.
They are not releasing the suspect's name because of his age.
He is in a DJJ facility in Columbia pending trail.
The coroner's office responded to Self Regional Healthcare to investigate a gunshot wound incident that happened in the area of Tennessee Court and Ohio Court at the Fairfield & Winns apartment complex in the city of Greenwood.
The coroner's office said Tidrekis Daquan Gary died from injuries from a gunshot wound around 8 p.m. on April 4.
Greenwood School District 50 officials confirmed Gary was a student at Emerald High School 9th grader.
"Our thoughts and prayers are with the family in their time of sadness."
This is the second student they've lost to gun violence this year. 17-year-old Jalis Anderson was killed at the Stop-A-Minit in late February.
As investigators continue their work, police are asking parents to talk to their children.
The department posted the following on Facebook:
Please take time to talk to your kids and let them know that guns don’t fix anything. Tonight, a mother is grieving her son, and other families are going to go through seeing their sons throw their lives away over petty arguments.
- Copyright 2018 Nexstar Broadcasting, Inc. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.
- 2 Dallas police officers wounded in shooting outside store
- Inmate: Prison officers complicit in cellphone problem
- Byrnes HS student Madison Gervasi recovers after accident
- Suspect chased and tased in Upstate Walmart