GREENVILLE, SC (WSPA) - The State Law Enforcement Division is investigating an officer involved shooting in Greenville County.
Sheriff Steve Loftis gave a press conference just after 6 p.m. updating the situation. Loftis says deputies were attempting to serve a warrant at the Turning Point of SC rehab facility on Bruce Road.
As deputies pulled into the parking lot, they saw a man try to hide his face and features from deputies, according to Loftis.
3 Deputies chased the suspect and that suspect pulled a 3-inch knife out on them. After several commands, the suspect did not drop the knife and was 2 feet from deputies, according to Loftis.
A deputy fired one shot and hit the suspect in the stomach, according to Loftis. That deputy has been placed on administrative leave.
Loftis says there were several witnesses who have verified the story, but that no one else was in danger.
This is Greenville County's 4th Officer involved shooting in 2016.
- Copyright 2018 Nexstar Broadcasting, Inc. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.
- Driver trapped after car flips in Woodruff crash
- Wrecker leaks 30 gallons of diesel fuel in Mauldin
- US Postal Service unveils Mister Rogers postage stamp
- March For Our Lives expected to bring hundreds to downtown Greenville