WSPA Staff - GREENVILLE, SC (WSPA) - The coroner says a man was electrocuted when a dump truck struck a power pole and caused the lines to fall.
Marty Dale Whitmire, 48, of Liberty died at the scene on East Mountain Creek Road around 2:20 p.m. Tuesday.
The coroner says Whitmire was operating equipment used to pave the road near Biddeford Place.
The dump truck hit a power pole, causing the pole to crack and the line dropped on Whitmire.
According to the S.C. Department of Transportation, a crew from King Asphalt was at the scene paving the road at the time.
King Asphalt declined to comment.
East Mountain Creek Road was closed for a short time while the investigation took place.
Duke Energy says around 2,100 customers were without power following the incident.
- Copyright 2018 Nexstar Broadcasting, Inc. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.
- Toys ‘R' Us liquidation sales postponed
- TV personality known for playing Bozo the Clown dies at 89
- Backpack thought to be suspicious claimed by man in Oconee Co.
- 'N Sync to reunite to receive star on Hollywood Walk of Fame