WSPA Staff - SPARTANBURG, S.C. (WSPA) - An apartment fire that displaced 54 people on Christmas Eve has been ruled intentional by the city of Spartanburg Fire Marshal's office. Deputy Fire Marshal Will Smart says there is still no suspect.
The fire destroyed 17 units at Crown Pointe apartment complex.
Firefighters from multiple departments responded to the blaze on Powell Mill Road just after 6 a.m. Sunday.
Fire Marshall Brad Hall reports that people had to jump from top floor windows to escape the smoke and fire before crews arrived. Other residents were rescued from the third floor.
Investigators say flames came through the roof of the 20-unit building and part of the roof on one end of the building collapsed.
One woman was taken to the hospital as a precaution. Her condition is unknown as of Sunday morning.
Nine families lost everything, including diapers, formula and baby care items for at least four infants under 10 months of age.
- Copyright 2018 Nexstar Broadcasting, Inc. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.
- 4 dead, 3 hurt in Asheville shooting
- Man dies at Quality Inn on Wade Hampton Blvd. after fight
- Channel 7 & 62 signal troubleshooting
- Lyman man arrested on child porn charges