SPARTANBURG COUNTY, SC (WSPA) - A Lyman woman was sentenced to 15 years in prison after admitting to driving drunk and causing a crash that killed one person and injured another.
The 7th Circuit Solicitor's Office said in a news release that Lauren C. Smith, 32, pleaded guilty to felony driving under the influence with a death and felony driving under the influence with great bodily injury.
Smith received a 25-year prison sentence that was suspended to 15 years, as well as five years of probation.
Prosecutors say Viola Lynn Jackson, 59, died from injuries she suffered in the January 2017 crash on Hammett Road near Skyway Court.
Smith was traveling north when her Ford Expedition crossed the center line and hit Jackson's Honda Accord.
A 10-year-old passenger in Jackson's car was seriously injured in the crash and was taken to Greenville Memorial Hospital for treatment.
Prosecutors say a third car rear-ended Jackson's car and ended up on the shoulder of the road.
Emergency responders reportedly smelled alcohol on Smith's breath at the scene of the crash. Prosecutors say a blood sample showed her blood alcohol level was .21 - almost three times the legal limit.
Smith had a previous DUI conviction in 2010.
- Copyright 2018 Nexstar Broadcasting, Inc. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.
- 2 men charged in murder of Iva mom
- AG Sessions says he's fired former FBI deputy director Andrew McCabe, effective immediately
- No. 16 UMBC stuns No. 1 Virginia 74-54 to make NCAA history
- Temporary Spartanburg Co. courthouse location falls through; state law cited as reason