Kerosene Heaters Cause Fires In The Upstate - WSPA.com

Kerosene Heaters Cause Fires In The Upstate

Posted: Updated:

In just a matter of minutes Lenora Sheridan lost everything a home she worked tirelessly to afford for her family.

"You have no idea what I've gone through to get this house," Sheridan said.

Firefighters tell us by the time they got to the Easley house flames were shooting from the windows.

The culprit a small kerosene heater.

"The kerosene heater was in flames, and his bed was already in flames," Sheridan said.

Kerosene heaters have been blamed for several fires this year across the upstate.

Including a fire on Perry Avenue in Greenville.

It happened on February 20th and left several families homeless.

A feeling Sheridan is now all too familiar with.

"I feel like my family has been ripped apart," Sheridan said.

Easley Fire Chief Butch Womack says Kerosene Heaters are extremely dangerous if not used properly.

Womack tells us Kerosene heaters need to be far away from furniture, and curtains.

The heater should be in a large room with plenty of open space.

It's also important to remember to fill up your kerosene heater outside never inside your home. 

"When you go to bed at night your cover drops off near the heater in the night that's a big danger," Womack said.

Sheridan says that simple mistake took away her families dream home.

"I love this house, my kids love this house," Sheridan said. 

Sheridan says despite losing everything she feels blessed her son smelled the smoke and got out before it was too late. 

"It's just stuff it really is, we are going to be fine," Sheridan said.

An attitude Sheridan is working hard to keep as she puts her home back together.

Powered by WorldNow

250 International Dr.
Spartanburg, S.C. 29303

Telephone: 864.576.7777
Fax: 864.587.5430
Email: webmaster@wspa.com

Can't find something?
Powered by WorldNow
All content © Copyright 2000 - 2014 Media General Communications Holdings, LLC. A Media General Company.