Man Seeks Help Getting Company To Pay Up -

Man Seeks Help Getting Company To Pay Up

Posted: Updated:
Man Seeks Help After Winning Judgment Man Seeks Help After Winning Judgment

Michael Tessner will gladly show you what's under the hood of his 1988 Dodge Ram Pickup. But not out of pride. He says it's more out of frustration after a visit to Heads Up Motorsports more than a year ago.

"They changed the oil in it for me," said Michael.

Months later, he says his oil light came on and he heard rattling in the engine, so he took it to another mechanic.

"He said this motor is ruined, the other mechanic did. They put a V6 filter on your V8 motor," said Michael.

 He went back to Heads Up Motorsports.

" I told him if he wasn't going to do anything then I would take him to small claims court," said Michael.

And he did, on January 31st. The judge ruled in Michael's favor and ordered Heads Up Motorsports to pay him $930.

"I thought I'd get paid within a few days," said Michael.

When that didn't happen, he filed paperwork with the Spartanburg County Sheriff's Office Civil Division, for investigators to look into possibly seizing property.

Sergeant Danny Shields says these "executions", as they're called, take up at least 60% of his workload.

"In 2012, his division had 1,050 cases. Right now, they're working 60, including Michael's case.

Shields says the process for each one can take months and they don't always have a happy ending.

"What I tell people that bring the executions in, first of all it's not a guaranteed thing," said Shields. "It would be great if we could take the execution against property and fix every bad business deal that's gone on."

For Michael's deal, we called Heads Up Motorsports owner Chris Goldie. He wouldn't speak on camera, but told us over the phone that the company does plan to make sure Michael's claim gets settled as soon as possible.

And when he does get the money, Michael says it's going right back under the hood.

We get calls about civil cases like this all the time. Sergeant Shields says before you do business with anyone, check on them to see if they have any judgments against them already.

Keep all receipts related to the work.

If you do run into a problem and don't get a response, you can take your case to magistrate court.

If you win and still don't get a response, you can file paperwork with your sheriff's office for help.

Powered by WorldNow

250 International Dr.
Spartanburg, S.C. 29303

Telephone: 864.576.7777
Fax: 864.587.5430

Can't find something?
Powered by WorldNow
All content © Copyright 2000 - 2014 Media General Communications Holdings, LLC. A Media General Company.