Judge Deems Man Incompetent To Stand Trial In Oconee Murder Case - WSPA.com

Judge Deems Man Incompetent To Stand Trial In Oconee Murder Case

Posted: Updated:
Nicholas Bonelli Nicholas Bonelli
ANDERSON, SC -

 

Updated: April 2, 2013

A judge has ruled that a man accused of killing two women in Oconee County last year is incompetent to stand trial.

The case involving 86-year-old Nicholas Bonelli was heard in Oconee General Sessions Court Tuesday.

The judge also ordered that the murder charges remain pending to ensure that if Bonnelli were ever to be deemed competent by the state, the case would be again heard in court.

"This was a tragic case where a family lost two completely innocent loved ones during a single violent afternoon. The pain and loss they have suffered is immeasurable," said Solicitor Chrissy Adams. "While it is our goal to seek justice for the family of the victims, the defendant has been found incompetent and, under South Carolina law, we cannot proceed to trial. However, the Court's ruling today will ensure that the defendant will remain in a secure facility so that he cannot cause further harm in our community."

Posted: March 20, 2013

A judge postponed a ruling on a man accused of killing two women in Oconee County last year.

The 10th Circuit Solicitor's Office held a hearing at the Anderson County Courthouse Thursday.  Judge Cordell Maddox says he wants to speak with medical experts before signing an order to turn 86 year old Nicholas Bonelli over to probate court.

Previously, a state mental health expert ruled Bonelli is mentally incapable of standing trial.

Maddox says due to current law, he is concerned that once he sends Bonelli to probate court, he could lose jurisdiction.

Maddox is concerned Bonelli could fall through the cracks or the probate court could make a different ruling and he wants to make sure Bonelli is as incapacitated as doctors say and will be spending the rest of his life in a facility.

Bonelli has been held without bond since last November after he was arrested and charged with the murders of Clarine Smith, 82, and her niece, 63-year-old Sandra Myers on November 2. Authorities say that Smith died of a head injury and Myers had a stab wound to the chest. 

Maddox told family members due to current law, the solicitor can't prosecute Bonelli once a medical expert says he is unable to stand trial.

Family members are upset Bonelli will not stand trial and they believe Bonelli knew exactly what he was doing when the alleged killings occurred.

Maddox says he wants to have another hearing or at least a meeting in two weeks with state medical experts before making a ruling.

  • Top StoriesTop StoriesMore>>

  • Woman Dies After Chesnee Wreck While Visiting Daughter

    Woman Dies After Chesnee Wreck While Visiting Daughter

    Monday, September 15 2014 11:28 PM EDT2014-09-16 03:28:26 GMT
    A 76-year-old Minnesota woman has died from injuries she sustained after she was involved in a wreck on Highway 11 and Parris Bridge Road Saturday.
    A 76-year-old Minnesota woman has died from injuries she sustained after she was involved in a wreck on Highway 11 and Parris Bridge Road Saturday.
  • Congressman's Facebook "Over-Share" Causes Stir

    Congressman's Facebook "Over-Share" Causes Stir

    Monday, September 15 2014 11:09 PM EDT2014-09-16 03:09:03 GMT
    South Carolina Congressman Mark Sanford is back in the spotlight and, once again, it's not about public policy.South Carolina Congressman Mark Sanford is back in the spotlight and, once again, it's not about public policy.
    Congressman Mark Sanford is back in the spotlight and, once again, it's not about public policy. Friday, he released a Facebook post to the world, outlining, in great detail, his latest family drama between him and his ex wife.
    Congressman Mark Sanford is back in the spotlight and, once again, it's not about public policy. Friday, he released a Facebook post to the world, outlining, in great detail, his latest family drama between him and his ex wife.
  • Drivers Complain About Loose Gravel On I-85

    Drivers Complain About Loose Gravel On I-85

    Monday, September 15 2014 6:54 PM EDT2014-09-15 22:54:20 GMT
    Dozens of drivers have filed complaints with the South Carolina Department of Transportation over loose gravel along a stretch of I-85. Officials said the complaints, which topped out at between 6 and 8 per day last week, stem from gravel that's damaged vehicles between Highway 14 and 129, where crews are working on a two-year-long resurfacing project.
    Dozens of drivers have filed complaints with the South Carolina Department of Transportation over loose gravel along a stretch of I-85. Officials said the complaints, which topped out at between 6 and 8 per day last week, stem from gravel that's damaged vehicles between Highway 14 and 129, where crews are working on a two-year-long resurfacing project.
Powered by WorldNow

250 International Dr.
Spartanburg, S.C. 29303

Telephone: 864.576.7777
Fax: 864.587.5430
Email: webmaster@wspa.com

Can't find something?
Powered by WorldNow
All content © Copyright 2000 - 2014 Media General Communications Holdings, LLC. A Media General Company.