Minor Fire At Spartanburg Senior Apartments - WSPA.com

Minor Fire At Spartanburg Senior Apartments

Posted: Updated:
Several fire departments were on the scene of a reported fire at the Archibald Rutledge Building Several fire departments were on the scene of a reported fire at the Archibald Rutledge Building
SPARTANBURG, S.C. -

Several Spartanburg fire departments were called to the scene of a reported fire at the Archibald Rutledge Building.   Firefighters were called around noon Sunday to the building on North Church Street.  

Spartanburg City Fire Department Assistant Chief Bobby Culbreth said the fire began in an apartment on the second floor when someone was cooking on the stove. Smoke from the fire activated the sprinklers on that floor and caused some flood damage on the first and second floor.

The water caused the elevator to shut down but residents were able to evacuate from all 12 floors of the building. No one was injured. 

Spartanburg fire said they've responded to multiple fires at the apartment building in the last few months. Housing Operations at the building said a fire that started on the 12th floor last year, caused $80,000 in damage

7 On Your Side asked Housing Operations Director Daryl Dalton what was being done at the building to make sure the tenants are safe.

Dalton said residents have periodic fire drills and if they need assistance getting down the stairs when the elevator stops working, they practice waiting by the stairs. The residents work with Spartanburg Public Safety to practice evacuation plans and they are asked to keep a bag by their door with all necessary medications and supplies, in case they cannot get back in their homes quickly.

Dalton said management discussed making the building smoke free in the future.

Volunteers worked to make sure all residents were comfortable and warm inside the first floor of the building. Dalton picked up pizzas and waters for the people there.

Spartanburg fire was working with housing to replace the sprinkler head in the apartment where the fire started.This was for the residents safety, said firefighters, and they could not return to their rooms until the sprinkler and smoke alarms were reset.

 

 

  • Top StoriesTop StoriesMore>>

  • Power To Spartanburg Malfunctioning Siren Cut After Several Hours

    Power To Spartanburg Malfunctioning Siren Cut After Several Hours

    Friday, August 1 2014 6:15 PM EDT2014-08-01 22:15:01 GMT
    Officials say the siren at Duncan Park malfunctioned around 2 a.m. Power was eventually cut around 9:30 a.m., putting an end to the noise.
    Officials say the siren at Duncan Park malfunctioned around 2 a.m. Power was eventually cut around 9:30 a.m., putting an end to the noise.
  • Camp In Spartanburg Co. Under Investigation

    Camp In Spartanburg Co. Under Investigation

    Friday, August 1 2014 6:11 PM EDT2014-08-01 22:11:33 GMT
    Spartanburg County deputies are investigating a camp in Inman.Spartanburg County deputies are investigating a camp in Inman.

    Spartanburg County deputies are investigating a camp in Inman after too many children were found at the facility.

    Spartanburg County deputies are investigating a camp in Inman after too many children were found at the facility.

  • Harvest Hope Asks For Help After Roof Rupture

    Harvest Hope Asks For Help After Roof Rupture

    Friday, August 1 2014 6:05 PM EDT2014-08-01 22:05:39 GMT
    Harvest Hope Asks For Help After Roof RuptureHarvest Hope Asks For Help After Roof Rupture
    Harvest Hope's Greenville facility on White Horse Road is dealing with a roof rupture after the heavy rain Thursday.
    Harvest Hope's Greenville facility on White Horse Road is dealing with a roof rupture after the heavy rain Thursday.
Powered by WorldNow

250 International Dr.
Spartanburg, S.C. 29303

Telephone: 864.576.7777
Fax: 864.587.5430
Email: webmaster@wspa.com

Can't find something?
Powered by WorldNow
All content © Copyright 2000 - 2014 Media General Communications Holdings, LLC. A Media General Company.