Minor Fire At Spartanburg Senior Apartments - WSPA.com

Minor Fire At Spartanburg Senior Apartments

Posted: Updated:
Several fire departments were on the scene of a reported fire at the Archibald Rutledge Building Several fire departments were on the scene of a reported fire at the Archibald Rutledge Building
SPARTANBURG, S.C. -

Several Spartanburg fire departments were called to the scene of a reported fire at the Archibald Rutledge Building.   Firefighters were called around noon Sunday to the building on North Church Street.  

Spartanburg City Fire Department Assistant Chief Bobby Culbreth said the fire began in an apartment on the second floor when someone was cooking on the stove. Smoke from the fire activated the sprinklers on that floor and caused some flood damage on the first and second floor.

The water caused the elevator to shut down but residents were able to evacuate from all 12 floors of the building. No one was injured. 

Spartanburg fire said they've responded to multiple fires at the apartment building in the last few months. Housing Operations at the building said a fire that started on the 12th floor last year, caused $80,000 in damage

7 On Your Side asked Housing Operations Director Daryl Dalton what was being done at the building to make sure the tenants are safe.

Dalton said residents have periodic fire drills and if they need assistance getting down the stairs when the elevator stops working, they practice waiting by the stairs. The residents work with Spartanburg Public Safety to practice evacuation plans and they are asked to keep a bag by their door with all necessary medications and supplies, in case they cannot get back in their homes quickly.

Dalton said management discussed making the building smoke free in the future.

Volunteers worked to make sure all residents were comfortable and warm inside the first floor of the building. Dalton picked up pizzas and waters for the people there.

Spartanburg fire was working with housing to replace the sprinkler head in the apartment where the fire started.This was for the residents safety, said firefighters, and they could not return to their rooms until the sprinkler and smoke alarms were reset.

 

 

  • Top StoriesTop StoriesMore>>

  • Fire Destroys Anderson Home

    Fire Destroys Anderson Home

    Thursday, August 21 2014 3:12 PM EDT2014-08-21 19:12:31 GMT
    An Anderson Fire investigator says a fire destroyed a home on Lyons St. near Clarence Ave. Thursday afternoon.
    An Anderson Fire investigator says a fire destroyed a home on Lyons St. near Clarence Ave. Thursday afternoon.
  • 14 People Exposed To Rabies In Anderson Co.

    14 People Exposed To Rabies In Anderson Co.

    Thursday, August 21 2014 2:12 PM EDT2014-08-21 18:12:57 GMT
    DHEC says the people were referred to health care providers after they came in contact with a kitten that tested positive for rabies.
    DHEC says the people were referred to health care providers after they came in contact with a kitten that tested positive for rabies.
  • Aid Group: 2nd US Worker With Ebola Released

    Aid Group: 2nd US Worker With Ebola Released

    Thursday, August 21 2014 11:22 AM EDT2014-08-21 15:22:14 GMT
    The Atlanta hospital where two American aid workers were brought after getting infected with the Ebola virus will hold a news conference to discuss their discharge.The Atlanta hospital where two American aid workers were brought after getting infected with the Ebola virus will hold a news conference to discuss their discharge.
    An aid group says a second American aid worker has been released after she was treated at an Atlanta hospital for the Ebola virus.
    An aid group says a second American aid worker has been released after she was treated at an Atlanta hospital for the Ebola virus. A news conference was planned for 11 a.m. Thursday at Emory to discuss the discharge of Nancy Writebol and another aid worker, Dr. Kent Brantly.
Powered by WorldNow

250 International Dr.
Spartanburg, S.C. 29303

Telephone: 864.576.7777
Fax: 864.587.5430
Email: webmaster@wspa.com

Can't find something?
Powered by WorldNow
All content © Copyright 2000 - 2014 Media General Communications Holdings, LLC. A Media General Company.