SC Will Soon Require CO Detectors In Homes, Hotels - WSPA.com

SC Will Soon Require CO Detectors In Homes, Hotels

Posted: Updated: June 11, 2013 04:00 PM EDT
© New safety codes that will require carbon monoxide detectors and alarms in residential and some commercial buildings will go into effect July 1, 2013. © New safety codes that will require carbon monoxide detectors and alarms in residential and some commercial buildings will go into effect July 1, 2013.
SPARTANBURG, S.C. -

SC Will Soon Require CO Detectors In Homes, Hotels

Carbon monoxide is called the "silent killer" for a reason. Most people don't think about carbon monoxide because they can't see, taste or smell it, but each year the poisonous gas claims hundreds of lives.

"Sometimes it is mistaken for the flu or a simple illness. People don't realize they are being affected by the CO," said Senior Deputy Fire Marshal Will Smart for the City of Spartanburg.

Officials say the best way to protect you and your family is to install a CO detector in your house.

According to the Carbon Monoxide Safety Association, North Carolina is among 27 states that require CO alarms in new homes, but it does not require them in hotels.

South Carolina will soon require carbon monoxide detectors and alarms.

The state is adopting a new set of building codes that go into effect July 1.

Smart says new and existing homes, hotels, motels, dormitories and even some apartment dwellings will be required to install CO detectors and alarms.

"It is going to be very costly to anyone doing new construction, and it is going to be very costly to anyone with an existing building," Smart said.

Cost has been one reason why many businesses haven't voluntarily installed CO detectors or alarms.

While the laws differ around the country, Smart is pleased that South Carolina is on alert, and doing something to address a dangerous trend.

NC Health Dept.: Poison Gas Not In Pool Inspection

Inspectors checked a North Carolina motel where three people are presumed killed by carbon monoxide fumes from a pool water heater, but the local health department says the inspection doesn't include checking for the poisonous gas.

The Appalachian District Health Department said Tuesday it inspected the swimming pool at the Best Western Blue Ridge Plaza in Boone six weeks before a Longview, Wash., couple was found dead of carbon monoxide poisoning in their motel room. Boone Police Sgt. Shane Robbins said the room is near the indoor pool warmed by a natural gas heater.

Eleven-year-old Jeffrey Williams of Rock Hill, S.C., died Saturday in the same room as the Washington couple, 73-year-old Daryl Dean Jenkins and 72-year-old Shirley Mae Jenkins.

Report: Gas In NC Motel Where Boy, 2 Others Died

North Carolina investigators are checking whether potentially lethal carbon monoxide was found in a motel room where an 11-year-old South Carolina boy died this weekend and two other guests were found dead almost two months ago.

WCNC in Charlotte reports that the Watauga County Health Department found carbon monoxide at the Boone motel where Jeffrey Williams of Rock Hill, S.C., died Saturday. His mother 49-year-old Jeannie Williams was rushed to a hospital.

Boone Police Sgt. Shane Robbins said their room at the Best Western Plus Blue Ridge Plaza is near a natural gas heater for the indoor pool.

A Longview, Wash., couple was found dead in the same motel room on April 16. They were 73-year-old Daryl Dean Jenkins and 72-year-old Shirley Mae Jenkins.

A health department spokeswoman declined comment.

(Copyright 2013 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)

  • Top StoriesTop StoriesMore>>

  • Update: Governor Haley To Suspend Simpsonville Mayor Eichor

    Update: Governor Haley To Suspend Simpsonville Mayor Eichor

    Tuesday, April 22 2014 10:56 PM EDT2014-04-23 02:56:15 GMT
    Simpsonville Mayor Perry Eichor was arrested Tuesday. He faces charges of Intimidation of a Court Official, Misconduct in Office and Obstruction of Justice following a state investigation.
    Simpsonville Mayor Perry Eichor was arrested Tuesday. He faces charges of Intimidation of a Court Official, Misconduct in Office and Obstruction of Justice following a state investigation.
  • Duke: Moving Coal Ash Would Cost Up To $10 Billion

    Duke: Moving Coal Ash Would Cost Up To $10 Billion

    Tuesday, April 22 2014 8:58 PM EDT2014-04-23 00:58:27 GMT
    Duke Energy Says Customers Will Likely Foot The Bill To Cleanup Coal AshDuke Energy Says Customers Will Likely Foot The Bill To Cleanup Coal Ash
    Duke Energy says that removing all of the company's coal ash away from North Carolina's rivers and lakes would take decades and cost up to $10 billion, with the state's electricity customers likely footing nearly all the bill. Duke's North Carolina president Paul Newton told state lawmakers Tuesday the company needs flexibility to consider more cost-efficient options that include leaving much of its 100 million tons of toxic ash in place after being covered with giant tarps and soil.
    Duke Energy says that removing all of the company's coal ash away from North Carolina's rivers and lakes would take decades and cost up to $10 billion, with the state's electricity customers likely footing nearly all the bill. Duke's North Carolina president Paul Newton told state lawmakers Tuesday the company needs flexibility to consider more cost-efficient options that include leaving much of its 100 million tons of toxic ash in place after being covered with giant tarps and soil.
  • Greenville Moms Accused of Abandoning Babies Charged Differently

    Greenville Moms Accused of Abandoning Babies Charged Differently

    Tuesday, April 22 2014 5:53 PM EDT2014-04-22 21:53:30 GMT
    Sharon Ferguson, left, is accused of abandoning her newborn in a trashcan Monday. She faces a more severe charge than Jessica Blackham, right, who abandoned her baby in a toilet at the Bi-Lo Center in 2011.Sharon Ferguson, left, is accused of abandoning her newborn in a trashcan Monday. She faces a more severe charge than Jessica Blackham, right, who abandoned her baby in a toilet at the Bi-Lo Center in 2011.
    The Greenville woman accused of abandoning her newborn in a trash can Monday faces a more severe charge than the woman who abandoned her baby in a toilet at the Bi-Lo Center in 2011.
    The Greenville woman accused of abandoning her newborn in a trash can Monday faces a more severe charge than the woman who abandoned her baby in a toilet at the Bi-Lo Center in 2011.
Powered by WorldNow

250 International Dr.
Spartanburg, S.C. 29303

Telephone: 864.576.7777
Fax: 864.587.5430
Email: webmaster@wspa.com

Can't find something?
Powered by WorldNow
All content © Copyright 2000 - 2014 Media General Communications Holdings, LLC. A Media General Company.