Carbon Monoxide From Running Car Ruled Cause of Greenville Death - WSPA.com

Carbon Monoxide From Running Car Ruled Cause of Greenville Deaths

Posted: Updated:
Courtesy of Thomason Family: William Thomason & Eugenia "Woo" Thomason Courtesy of Thomason Family: William Thomason & Eugenia "Woo" Thomason
Do you have a carbon monoxide detector in your home?  Vote in our poll to the right. Do you have a carbon monoxide detector in your home? Vote in our poll to the right.
GREENVILLE, S.C. -

Investigators say a Greenville couple died from carbon monoxide poisoning from a car left running in the garage of the home. It happened over the weekend on Crescent Avenue.

"They just had a really unfortunate, tragic accident that involved carbon monoxide," said their son Will Thomason.

Investigators say they think the car was accidentally running in the garage. That's when carbon monoxide seeped inside the home.

Officers performing a welfare check found the couple, Sunday.

The Greenville County Coroner's Office says 76-year-old William Thomason and his wife, 71-year-old Eugenia "Woo" Thomason, later died at the hospital.

An autopsy shows the couple died of anoxic brain injury due to carbon monoxide.

"They were vibrant retirees, living their life and this was something that took them way too early," said son Will Thomason.

Inspectors with the Greenville Fire Department say when it comes to your home you have to watch out for anything that burns gas.

"You want to have your appliances checked, making sure they are hooked up properly and they're being used according to the manufacturer's recommendation," said Inspector Tito Dendy with the Greenville Fire Department.

Dendy says that's why it's important for all homes to have a carbon monoxide detector.

Starting July 1, all newer homes in South Carolina with gas appliances or an attached garage will be required to install one.

The efforts will cost you some cash, but the Thomason family says the investment is worth every dollar.

"I thought I had them and I didn't," said Will. "I'm going to pay the $75 to have them added. It's a no brainer."

  • Do you have a carbon monoxide detector in your home?

  • Thank you for participating in our poll. Here are the results so far:

    Yes
    42%
    148 votes
    No
    58%
    203 votes
Powered by WorldNow

250 International Dr.
Spartanburg, S.C. 29303

Telephone: 864.576.7777
Fax: 864.587.5430
Email: webmaster@wspa.com

Can't find something?
Powered by WorldNow
All content © Copyright 2000 - 2014 Media General Communications Holdings, LLC. A Media General Company.