Wounded soldier: "If they'd let me, I'd go back tomorrow." - WSPA.com

Wounded soldier: "If they'd let me, I'd go back tomorrow."

Posted: Updated:
  • Most Popular StoriesMost Popular StoriesMore>>

July Mugshots - Northeast Tennessee

Tuesday, August 26 2014 1:51 PM EDT2014-08-26 17:51:57 GMT
    The following are mugshots of individuals arrested on a variety of charges in July by local authorities in Northeast Tennessee.

Death of 1-month-old baby ruled a homicide

Tuesday, September 2 2014 3:38 PM EDT2014-09-02 19:38:45 GMT
    There are new details in the homicide of a Kinston baby.
    There are new details in the homicide of a Kinston baby.

Robin Williams' daughter receives disturbing photos of dad on social media

Wednesday, August 13 2014 1:02 PM EDT2014-08-13 17:02:49 GMT
    From left, Susan Schneider, Robin Williams, and Zelda Williams at the premiere of "Happy Feet Two".  (AP Photo/Katy Winn)From left, Susan Schneider, Robin Williams, and Zelda Williams at the premiere of "Happy Feet Two". (AP Photo/Katy Winn)
    Robin Williams' daughter Zelda has decided to take a break from Twitter and Instagram after receiving disturbing altered photos of her dad and upsetting comments on her social media accounts.
JONESBOROUGH, TN (WJHL) -

Josh Hall wants to go back.

He's physically strong.   He craves the adrenaline of serving on the front lines in Afghanistan with is comrades in the United States Army's 82nd Airborne.   He's hungry for more.

"I started this because I wanted to serve my Country, and my injury doesn't change that,"  Hall said.

But that injury did change his body forever.

On July 31, 2012, Hall, 23, volunteered to lead a patrol into an area south of Kandahar, Afghanistan.  Their mission was a dangerous one: to secure areas newly taken from the Taliban.    "We were getting shot at every day," Hall said.

Just a few weeks before that mission, Hall re-enlisted for a second tour of duty.

"I knew we had to clear an area on the other side of a tall wall," Hall said.

He told the rest of his men to stay back.   "No use in all of us being in danger when it only took one person to check," he said.

"I stepped over the wall and cleared the bottom of the wall," said Hall.  "As I was coming down over the wall, I saw the pressure plate."

Hall remembers trying to stop his left heel from touching the dismantled improvised explosive, a home-made death trap holding 90 pounds of explosives.

The blast knocked Hall more than 20 feet away from the wall and onto the men with him on patrol.   Despite the intensity of the blast, Hall never lost consciousness.

"I knew right away it was gone," Sgt. Hall said, motioning to where his left leg used to be.

Medics transferred Hall to Germany, then to Walter Reed Army Hospital in the United States.   There, he he spent week in a drug-induced coma as doctors treated severe injuries, external and internal.

"Several times, they thought he was going to die," said Josh's mother Michelle Caudill.

When the drugs wore off, Hall faced his darkest moment in whole ordeal.    "I'd say once I started coming to and realized that my guys were still over there and I wasn't," Hall said.   "And just being in the hospital for months.   I was in bed.  I couldn't move."

But Hall says, despite the gravity of his injuries and the realization he likely could never serve in combat again, he never wished for death.

"The infantry instills it in us to not give up," Hall said.  "It's hard to turn it off.  It makes us hard to kill."

Sgt. Josh Hall says his next step is school, possibly medical school.  He wants to be a trauma surgeon.

"I don't want to sit and draw and check and do nothing," said Hall.   "I'm only 23.  So I've got plenty of years to do something else and make a difference."

And Hall says, despite the visible reminders of a Taliban's hidden weapon, he's not angry.   "I went, I knew the risks when I signed up for the second time, and I made peace with it a long time ago," said Hall.  "So no.  There's no reason to be.  I did my job.  I got to bleed for my country.  And I'd do it all over again."

Copyright 2013 WJHL.  All rights reserved.

• Top StoriesTop StoriesMore>>

Teen Sues SC Over License Photo

Tuesday, September 2 2014 6:38 PM EDT2014-09-02 22:38:19 GMT
    Chase Culpepper, 16, was asked to remove his makeup before taking his driver’s license picture.Chase Culpepper, 16, was asked to remove his makeup before taking his driver’s license picture.
    An organization that supports transgender rights is suing South Carolina after the state wouldn't issue a driver's license to a 16-year-old boy unless he took off his makeup.

Documents Reveal Plan to Overhaul Emergency Care

Tuesday, September 2 2014 6:32 PM EDT2014-09-02 22:32:56 GMT
    Documents reveal the "politically sensitive" plan to overhaul EMS.Documents reveal the "politically sensitive" plan to overhaul EMS.
    7 On Your Side Investigations uncovered new documents that detail a “politically sensitive” proposal for overhauling the Greenville County EMS system. The plan would change the way ambulances respond in a 9-1-1 emergency and would give control of the life-saving service to the county's largest hospital chain, Greenville Health System.

Upstate LECs Addressing Security Concerns

Tuesday, September 2 2014 6:27 PM EDT2014-09-02 22:27:07 GMT
    Law enforcement agencies across the Upstate are making changes to protect their own and youLaw enforcement agencies across the Upstate are making changes to protect their own and you
    From courthouses to law enforcement centers and administration buildings—law enforcement agencies across the Upstate are making changes to protect their own and you.

Powered by WorldNow

250 International Dr.
Spartanburg, S.C. 29303

Telephone: 864.576.7777
Fax: 864.587.5430
Email: webmaster@wspa.com

Can't find something?
Powered by WorldNow
All content © Copyright 2000 - 2014 Media General Communications Holdings, LLC. A Media General Company.