Wounded soldier: "If they'd let me, I'd go back tomorrow." - WSPA.com

Wounded soldier: "If they'd let me, I'd go back tomorrow."

Posted: Updated:
  • Most Popular StoriesMost Popular StoriesMore>>

April Mugshots

Tuesday, April 15 2014 11:48 AM EDT2014-04-15 15:48:25 GMT
    James SiebenthalJames Siebenthal
    The following are mugshots and charges of individuals arrested between April 1-4 by the Sullivan County Sheriff's Office.

Operation Salt Vegas: Federal agents serve meth warrants in southwest VA, northeast TN

Thursday, April 17 2014 5:39 PM EDT2014-04-17 21:39:44 GMT
    Federal investigators served dozens of warrants on individuals in southwest Virginia and Northeast Tennessee. Agents call the investigation “Operation Salt Vegas”.

Medical Watch: Stopping Tinnitus in its Tracks

Sunday, April 20 2014 4:25 PM EDT2014-04-20 20:25:46 GMT
    Music is Terry Price’s livelihood and passion. As a church choir director, he has performed all over the world. “I just feel like have the greatest job in the world. I do what I love,” he told Ivanhoe. But one day the music he loved so much became painful. “All of a sudden the higher pitches, instead of sounding like single notes, sounded like clusters of screeches, and it was unimaginably bad. It was terrible,” Price said. Price had tinnitus: a constant high-pitched ringing in the ears. He ...
JONESBOROUGH, TN (WJHL) -

Josh Hall wants to go back.

He's physically strong.   He craves the adrenaline of serving on the front lines in Afghanistan with is comrades in the United States Army's 82nd Airborne.   He's hungry for more.

"I started this because I wanted to serve my Country, and my injury doesn't change that,"  Hall said.

But that injury did change his body forever.

On July 31, 2012, Hall, 23, volunteered to lead a patrol into an area south of Kandahar, Afghanistan.  Their mission was a dangerous one: to secure areas newly taken from the Taliban.    "We were getting shot at every day," Hall said.

Just a few weeks before that mission, Hall re-enlisted for a second tour of duty.

"I knew we had to clear an area on the other side of a tall wall," Hall said.

He told the rest of his men to stay back.   "No use in all of us being in danger when it only took one person to check," he said.

"I stepped over the wall and cleared the bottom of the wall," said Hall.  "As I was coming down over the wall, I saw the pressure plate."

Hall remembers trying to stop his left heel from touching the dismantled improvised explosive, a home-made death trap holding 90 pounds of explosives.

The blast knocked Hall more than 20 feet away from the wall and onto the men with him on patrol.   Despite the intensity of the blast, Hall never lost consciousness.

"I knew right away it was gone," Sgt. Hall said, motioning to where his left leg used to be.

Medics transferred Hall to Germany, then to Walter Reed Army Hospital in the United States.   There, he he spent week in a drug-induced coma as doctors treated severe injuries, external and internal.

"Several times, they thought he was going to die," said Josh's mother Michelle Caudill.

When the drugs wore off, Hall faced his darkest moment in whole ordeal.    "I'd say once I started coming to and realized that my guys were still over there and I wasn't," Hall said.   "And just being in the hospital for months.   I was in bed.  I couldn't move."

But Hall says, despite the gravity of his injuries and the realization he likely could never serve in combat again, he never wished for death.

"The infantry instills it in us to not give up," Hall said.  "It's hard to turn it off.  It makes us hard to kill."

Sgt. Josh Hall says his next step is school, possibly medical school.  He wants to be a trauma surgeon.

"I don't want to sit and draw and check and do nothing," said Hall.   "I'm only 23.  So I've got plenty of years to do something else and make a difference."

And Hall says, despite the visible reminders of a Taliban's hidden weapon, he's not angry.   "I went, I knew the risks when I signed up for the second time, and I made peace with it a long time ago," said Hall.  "So no.  There's no reason to be.  I did my job.  I got to bleed for my country.  And I'd do it all over again."

Copyright 2013 WJHL.  All rights reserved.

• Top StoriesTop StoriesMore>>

Teen Stowaway Survives In Wheel Well of Maui Flight

Monday, April 21 2014 12:30 AM EDT2014-04-21 04:30:34 GMT
    Teen stowaway survives in wheel well of Hawaiian Airlines plane flight from California to Hawaii.Teen stowaway survives in wheel well of Hawaiian Airlines plane flight from California to Hawaii.
    FBI officials say a 16 year old boy stowed away in the wheel well of a flight from California to Hawaii and survived.

Update: Amber Alert For Child Abduction Cancelled

Monday, April 21 2014 12:07 AM EDT2014-04-21 04:07:49 GMT
    Amber Alert in North Carolina has been cancelled.Amber Alert in North Carolina has been cancelled.
    The AMBER Alert for a missing child, Tamiyah Elssy Bryant, issued Saturday has been cancelled.  The North Carolina Amber Alert page says the child was located in Emporia, VA unharmed.

11 Year Old Killed In Anderson Co. Crash

Sunday, April 20 2014 11:52 PM EDT2014-04-21 03:52:24 GMT
    11 Year Old Killed In Anderson Co. Crash11 Year Old Killed In Anderson Co. Crash
    The South Carolina Highway Patrol says an 11 year old has died after a car crash in Anderson County.
Powered by WorldNow

250 International Dr.
Spartanburg, S.C. 29303

Telephone: 864.576.7777
Fax: 864.587.5430
Email: webmaster@wspa.com

Can't find something?
Powered by WorldNow
All content © Copyright 2000 - 2014 Media General Communications Holdings, LLC. A Media General Company.