Demolition Begins On Ohio House In Kidnapping Case - WSPA.com

Demolition Begins On Ohio House In Kidnapping Case

Posted: Updated:
Ariel Castro agrees to a plea deal to avoid the death penalty. Ariel Castro agrees to a plea deal to avoid the death penalty.
CLEVELAND, OH -

Update August 7, 2013

Demolition has begun on the Cleveland house where three women were held captive and raped over a decade.

The house is being torn down as part of a deal that spared Ariel Castro a possible death sentence. He was sentenced last week to life in prison plus 1,000 years.

One of the women imprisoned there, Michelle Knight, showed up early today before the demolition began. She made a brief statement and released some balloons.

A crowd of onlookers clapped as the demolition began.

Prosecutors say Ariel Castro cried when he signed over the house deed and mentioned his "many happy memories" there with the women. The women escaped May 6 when one of them broke part of a door and yelled for help.

Google Earth has already blurred out a satellite image of the house, before the demolition even began.

Ariel Castro Gets Life +1000 Years in OH Kidnapping Case August 1, 2013

The Ohio man, Ariel Castro, convicted of holding three women captive in his Cleveland house over a decade and raping them repeatedly has been sentenced to life without parole plus 1,000 years.

Posted 7/26/2013

A Cleveland man accused of holding three women captive in his home for about a decade has agreed to plead guilty in a deal to avoid the death penalty.

Ariel Castro is entering the plea Friday. In exchange, prosecutors said the 53-year-old Castro would be sentenced to life without parole plus 1,000 years.

Castro had been charged in a 977-count indictment.

He had been scheduled for trial Aug. 5 on allegations that include repeatedly restraining the women and punching and starving one woman until she had a miscarriage.

The women disappeared separately between 2002 and 2004, when they were 14, 16 and 20 years old. Each said they had accepted a ride from Castro.

They escaped Castro's house May 6 when one kicked out part of a door and called to neighbors for help. Castro was arrested within hours and has remained behind bars.

Story by ANDREW WELSH-HUGGINS - AP Legal Affairs Writer

(Copyright 2013 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)

Powered by WorldNow

250 International Dr.
Spartanburg, S.C. 29303

Telephone: 864.576.7777
Fax: 864.587.5430
Email: webmaster@wspa.com

Can't find something?
Powered by WorldNow
All content © Copyright 2000 - 2014 Media General Communications Holdings, LLC. A Media General Company.