Wake Co. teacher leaves classroom following state pay freeze - WSPA.com

Wake Co. teacher leaves classroom following state pay freeze

Posted: Updated:
Monday's demonstration on Halifax Mall protested changes to education in North Carolina. Monday's demonstration on Halifax Mall protested changes to education in North Carolina.
RALEIGH, N.C. -

After 13 years of teaching, Anastasia Trueman has had enough.

The former Lynn Road Elementary math coach resigned on July 27. Even working two jobs, Trueman said several years without a raise forced her to walk. Adding insult to injury, the two-year budget signed by Gov. Pat McCrory also does not include a raise.

State employees received a 1.2 percent raise in 2012 following a four-year pay freeze.

"I have to take a stand somehow, and one of the ways I can do that is by quitting," Trueman said. "I hate that I have to do that because it's hurting the kids more than anybody, but if I really cannot sustain a living then that's what I have to do."

The National Education Association says North Carolina ranks 46th in the nation in teacher pay. McCrory included a 1 percent raise in his budget proposal, but lawmakers took it out and the version McCrory signed also had no raise.

"It is a long time coming, and I think it's important to note this issue with teacher compensation didn't happen overnight," said Eric Guckian, McCrory's senior education advisor. "It certainly didn't happen in the last six months, and it's a priority of our administration to change it to a compensation system that is performance-based and values our educators and values our students."

Trueman, however, said she doesn't feel valued.

"They talk about we're doing all this reform and the 1 percent raise -- well, since I've been frozen on a salary since 2009, what's 1 percent going to do for me?" she asked.

"They gave us one percent last year and then hiked up our healthcare."

Monday's demonstration on Halifax Mall at the General Assembly protested changes to education in North Carolina.

Derick Waller

Derick is a reporter for WNCN covering crime, education, politics and just about everything in between. He has a knack for adapting to any story and consistently delivers information quickly across multiple platforms. More>>

  • Top StoriesTop StoriesMore>>

  • Update: Governor Haley To Suspend Simpsonville Mayor Eichor

    Update: Governor Haley To Suspend Simpsonville Mayor Eichor

    Tuesday, April 22 2014 10:56 PM EDT2014-04-23 02:56:15 GMT
    Simpsonville Mayor Perry Eichor was arrested Tuesday. He faces charges of Intimidation of a Court Official, Misconduct in Office and Obstruction of Justice following a state investigation.
    Simpsonville Mayor Perry Eichor was arrested Tuesday. He faces charges of Intimidation of a Court Official, Misconduct in Office and Obstruction of Justice following a state investigation.
  • Duke: Moving Coal Ash Would Cost Up To $10 Billion

    Duke: Moving Coal Ash Would Cost Up To $10 Billion

    Tuesday, April 22 2014 8:58 PM EDT2014-04-23 00:58:27 GMT
    Duke Energy Says Customers Will Likely Foot The Bill To Cleanup Coal AshDuke Energy Says Customers Will Likely Foot The Bill To Cleanup Coal Ash
    Duke Energy says that removing all of the company's coal ash away from North Carolina's rivers and lakes would take decades and cost up to $10 billion, with the state's electricity customers likely footing nearly all the bill. Duke's North Carolina president Paul Newton told state lawmakers Tuesday the company needs flexibility to consider more cost-efficient options that include leaving much of its 100 million tons of toxic ash in place after being covered with giant tarps and soil.
    Duke Energy says that removing all of the company's coal ash away from North Carolina's rivers and lakes would take decades and cost up to $10 billion, with the state's electricity customers likely footing nearly all the bill. Duke's North Carolina president Paul Newton told state lawmakers Tuesday the company needs flexibility to consider more cost-efficient options that include leaving much of its 100 million tons of toxic ash in place after being covered with giant tarps and soil.
  • Greenville Moms Accused of Abandoning Babies Charged Differently

    Greenville Moms Accused of Abandoning Babies Charged Differently

    Tuesday, April 22 2014 5:53 PM EDT2014-04-22 21:53:30 GMT
    Sharon Ferguson, left, is accused of abandoning her newborn in a trashcan Monday. She faces a more severe charge than Jessica Blackham, right, who abandoned her baby in a toilet at the Bi-Lo Center in 2011.Sharon Ferguson, left, is accused of abandoning her newborn in a trashcan Monday. She faces a more severe charge than Jessica Blackham, right, who abandoned her baby in a toilet at the Bi-Lo Center in 2011.
    The Greenville woman accused of abandoning her newborn in a trash can Monday faces a more severe charge than the woman who abandoned her baby in a toilet at the Bi-Lo Center in 2011.
    The Greenville woman accused of abandoning her newborn in a trash can Monday faces a more severe charge than the woman who abandoned her baby in a toilet at the Bi-Lo Center in 2011.
Powered by WorldNow

250 International Dr.
Spartanburg, S.C. 29303

Telephone: 864.576.7777
Fax: 864.587.5430
Email: webmaster@wspa.com

Can't find something?
Powered by WorldNow
All content © Copyright 2000 - 2014 Media General Communications Holdings, LLC. A Media General Company.