Woman Gets Answers After Waiting Years For Car Crash Payout - WSPA.com

Woman Gets Answers After Waiting Years For Car Crash Payout

Posted: Updated:


Even 24 years later, Nancy Crawford still remembers the impact.

"If I hadn't of thought to move in the outer lane, we would have been dead," said Nancy.

Now, the only thing left from that 1989 car accident in Anderson County are documents describing the crash with her daughter and granddaughter as passengers.

At the time, the other driver was ordered to pay them thousands of dollars in restitution as part of his punishment.

But years went by without Nancy receiving a dime. She finally just gave up, until last year.

"In November, my daughter called me," said Nancy. "She said mother, I got a check."

It was a $2,845 check from that 1989 car crash.

In an effort to settle up outstanding cases last year, the South Carolina Department of Probation, Parole and Pardon Services (SCDPPPS) made a deal with that other driver, had him pay the restitution owed and closed the case.

But Nancy wasn't included, making those old wounds feel new again.

"It's been very emotional," said told us through tears. "Because you work all your life and you try to do and then you just struggle."

We called SCDPPPS and were told Nancy's name was left off the original restitution list and that Anderson County could settle it.

Clerk of Court Richard Shirley told us that wouldn't be right.

"It's not up to me to issue a bench warrant for a man who thinks he in good faith has tried to settle something from 23 years ago," said Shirley.

But there is another option.

A couple days after we first spoke, SCDPPPS told us it sent an order to the Anderson County Courthouse.

"Judge Maddox has agreed to reopen this case at our request," said Peter O'Boyle, SCDPPPS Public Information Director.

That request now makes way for Nancy to finally get the compensation and closure she's been waiting for.

Now that the case is reopened, SCDPPPS has 90 days to schedule a hearing.

Once that happens, Shirley tells us the judge could make the defendant pay. Or, the judge could order the money come from SCDPPPS.

The probation department has an office dedicated to victim services.

They tell us if a victim has a question about an outstanding case or needs support, to call the office at (888) 551-4118.

Powered by WorldNow

250 International Dr.
Spartanburg, S.C. 29303

Telephone: 864.576.7777
Fax: 864.587.5430
Email: webmaster@wspa.com

Can't find something?
Powered by WorldNow
All content © Copyright 2000 - 2014 Media General Communications Holdings, LLC. A Media General Company.