By Kristina Smith, Producer - Your Carolina - email
Indian dance-drama titled "Krishna" taking place Sunday, September 22nd at 3pm at Flat Rock Playhouse in Hendersonville, NC
- In December 2011, Rakesh Agarwal, CEO of Rug & Home, led a team of 8 volunteers, including 4 students from Yale University, to Varanasi, the carpet-weaving region of India and home to roughly 7 million people, to conduct a 3-day health clinic.
- The goal was to provide much-needed health exams and treatments to the people of this area that otherwise would not have access or funds to see a doctor.
- For many, it was their first visit ever to a health professional. While we expected 500 people over 3 days, we saw nearly 4,000 patients.
- We saw problems as wide-ranging as gynecological, orthopedic, gastric, tuberculosis, dental, joint pain and arthritis, mental health issues, and the common cold and cough.
- However, women's health was some of the worst, as they are often given the last priority in families to see a doctor. The most prevalent problem in women was cataracts.
- This is why we decided to form Vision Express, a 501c3 charity dedicated to performing cataract operations to underprivileged women in need, and providing them with the proper medications to ensure a full recovery.