NC Reopens WIC Program - WSPA.com

NC Reopens WIC Program

Posted: Updated:
WIC provides food vouchers, nutrition education and health care referrals WIC provides food vouchers, nutrition education and health care referrals
RALEIGH, N.C. -
North Carolina state government announced Thursday night it will resume issuing benefits to poor women and their children through a federally funded program, two days after announcing the U.S. government shutdown would force their suspension.
State Health and Human Services Secretary Aldona Wos said her agency had secured additional funds to continue the Special Supplemental Nutrition Program for Women, Infants and Children for at least a few more weeks.
WIC provides food vouchers, nutrition education and health care referrals for 264,000 women and children monthly in North Carolina. The federal government usually pays for the program's $205 million cost.
Wos' department said the money to extend the program through October came from leftover money from last year, more contingency funds from the U.S. Food and Drug Administration and rebates from WIC formula manufacturer Nestle.
"Because of the uncertainty of the federal shutdown, we know this may only be a temporary solution," Wos said in a news release. "But we are committed to meeting the needs of the people of North Carolina."
The department announced Tuesday it would halt vouchers for the WIC  program because it lacked sufficient funds. Local health departments were being alerted to resume issuing vouchers.
"Our state is one of the highest volume states for the WIC program, so we take the impact of the shutdown very seriously," Wos said.

(Copyright 2013 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)

Related

  • Top StoriesTop StoriesMore>>

  • Fire Destroys Anderson Home

    Fire Destroys Anderson Home

    Thursday, August 21 2014 3:12 PM EDT2014-08-21 19:12:31 GMT
    An Anderson Fire investigator says a fire destroyed a home on Lyons St. near Clarence Ave. Thursday afternoon.
    An Anderson Fire investigator says a fire destroyed a home on Lyons St. near Clarence Ave. Thursday afternoon.
  • 14 People Exposed To Rabies In Anderson Co.

    14 People Exposed To Rabies In Anderson Co.

    Thursday, August 21 2014 2:12 PM EDT2014-08-21 18:12:57 GMT
    DHEC says the people were referred to health care providers after they came in contact with a kitten that tested positive for rabies.
    DHEC says the people were referred to health care providers after they came in contact with a kitten that tested positive for rabies.
  • Aid Group: 2nd US Worker With Ebola Released

    Aid Group: 2nd US Worker With Ebola Released

    Thursday, August 21 2014 11:22 AM EDT2014-08-21 15:22:14 GMT
    The Atlanta hospital where two American aid workers were brought after getting infected with the Ebola virus will hold a news conference to discuss their discharge.The Atlanta hospital where two American aid workers were brought after getting infected with the Ebola virus will hold a news conference to discuss their discharge.
    An aid group says a second American aid worker has been released after she was treated at an Atlanta hospital for the Ebola virus.
    An aid group says a second American aid worker has been released after she was treated at an Atlanta hospital for the Ebola virus. A news conference was planned for 11 a.m. Thursday at Emory to discuss the discharge of Nancy Writebol and another aid worker, Dr. Kent Brantly.
Powered by WorldNow

250 International Dr.
Spartanburg, S.C. 29303

Telephone: 864.576.7777
Fax: 864.587.5430
Email: webmaster@wspa.com

Can't find something?
Powered by WorldNow
All content © Copyright 2000 - 2014 Media General Communications Holdings, LLC. A Media General Company.