Wednesday Fire fighters in Easley went door to door checking smoke detectors and replacing batteries. The goal to make sure your prepared in case you ever have a house fire.
Debbie Tompkins was shocked when fire fighters checked her smoke detectors and they had no batteries.
"You never know if there's a fire and one of these goes off it'll wake you up and save your life, and your family's life," Tompkins said.
Disabled smoke detectors are just one fire risk.
As the temperature goes down Easley Fire Chief Butch Womack tells us the number of fire calls go up.
"People are using alternate heat sources such as kerosene heaters, electric heaters and putting them in places they shouldn't be"
As tempting as it might be on a cold night to put a space heater in a bathroom there's just too many risks from towels to curtains they all can easily ignite.
Womack took us inside a home built in the 50's to show us some of the dangers lurking inside an older home.
He says one thing you need to worry about are old model fuse boxes.
"If a fuse blows and you put a new fuse in and it blows again it means something on that circuit is pulling too much," Womack said.
Womack tells us the fuse will turn black to let you know your circuit is being over powered and more likely to start a fire.
Adding new appliances to these old systems will put you at greater risk.
"Before you ever add any new appliances you should call an electrician and let them come in and test it and decide how much voltage is going through the lines so you don't have fire," Womack said.
If your wires are faulty or sparking your wall would feel hot to touch.
Walls can remain hot for several days before your home shows any signs of fire.
Womack says your best bet test your smoke detectors, so if there ever is a fire you'll be alerted to get out.
A sign meant to make people think also got people talking in the Town of Blacksburg.
250 International Dr.Spartanburg, S.C. 29303