By Kristina Smith, Producer - Your Carolina - email
Originally known as the Evans Building, this historic 1920's structure served as the center of Spartanburg's educational system for more than 50 years as the Frank Evans High School, Spartanburg High School and Evans Junior High School, before being acquired by Spartanburg County. SCC announced the purchase of the 104,000 square foot building in 2009 with plans to provide education and workforce training to local residents and serve as a catalyst for increased economic development in downtown Spartanburg. SCC's restoration and LEED Silver certified renovations have placed the Evans Academic Center on the National Register of Historic Sites.
From short-term job training to University Transfer programs, students can begin almost any program SCC offers at the Evans Academic Center. In addition to certificate and associate degree programs in healthcare services, modern manufacturing, business and computers, the Downtown Campus also offers the same student support services and resources provided at all SCC campuses, including financial aid assistance, academic advising, tutoring, career counseling and disability services, as well as computer labs, study rooms and convenient parking.