How to Stay Warm, Stay Safe, Save Money - WSPA.com

How to Stay Warm, Stay Safe, Save Money

Posted: Updated:
Technician Aaron Gordon checks a furnace's safety and efficiency. Technician Aaron Gordon checks a furnace's safety and efficiency.
GREENVILLE COUNTY, S.C. -

Frost and freeze warnings may have many in the Upstate ready to turn on their heat.

But before you do, here are some tips that can save you money and keep your family safe.

When the temperatures go down, Carolina Heating Service technician Aaron Gordon goes up into homeowners' attics to check out their heating systems.

“I'm testing for carbon monoxide, efficiency of the unit," said Gordon.

Making sure it's clean and running efficiently can save you money on your energy bill and prevent costly repairs in the future.

A recent government report from the Energy Department says natural gas prices will rise about 13 percent this year to an average bill of $679 dollars a month. If you rely on electricity for heat, you'll pay around two percent more -- about $18 extra.

Gordon suggests cleaning out your filter once a month to help your heating system run better.

But getting your system checked out once a year -- before you turn it on -- doesn't just save your wallet. It could save your life.

“Carbon monoxide is odorless, so people, they can't smell it really so it's like a silent killer," said Gordon.

Be careful your nose doesn't cause false alarm. It's normal to smell an odor for a few minutes the first time you turn your heating system on this season. If it persists, shut it down right away and call in a professional.

Make sure you check out the batteries in your smoke detectors and your carbon monoxide detectors.

Mauldin Fire Marshal Steven Woods said if your smoke detector is 10 years old or more, you need to swap out that unit completely.

If you have a chimney, there are some extra precautions you need to take. Woods said you should make sure you get it professionally cleaned before you start a fire for the first time this season. Soot can build up in your chimney and ignite. That fire can quickly spread to the rest of the house.

For a checklist your family can use to make sure you're on track for the colder temps, click here.

Related:

  • Have you turned on your heat yet?

  • Thank you for participating in our poll. Here are the results so far:

    Yes
    58%
    572 votes
    No
    42%
    412 votes
  • Top StoriesTop StoriesMore>>

  • Coroner's Prelim Autopsy of Broome Student Released

    Coroner's Prelim Autopsy of Broome Student Released

    Thursday, August 21 2014 5:50 PM EDT2014-08-21 21:50:13 GMT
    The student was pronounced dead at Mary Black hospital after they passed out at Broome High School Wednesday.
    The student was pronounced dead at Mary Black hospital after they passed out at Broome High School Wednesday.
  • Summer Heat Returns To Upstate, Western NC Thursday

    Summer Heat Returns To Upstate, Western NC Thursday

    Thursday, August 21 2014 5:14 PM EDT2014-08-21 21:14:09 GMT
    Thursday's highs are expected to be ten degrees warmer than what we've seen on average this summer.Thursday's highs are expected to be ten degrees warmer than what we've seen on average this summer.
    Hot weather is returning for a three-day stretch in the Upstate and western North Carolina starting Thursday. The highs are expected to be ten degrees warmer than what we've seen on average this summer.
    Hot weather is returning for a three-day stretch in the Upstate and western North Carolina starting Thursday. The highs are expected to be ten degrees warmer than what we've seen on average this summer.
  • Kitten Exposes 14 People To Rabies In Anderson Co.

    Kitten Exposes 14 People To Rabies In Anderson Co.

    Thursday, August 21 2014 4:39 PM EDT2014-08-21 20:39:57 GMT
    Fourteen people are getting medical treatment after the Department of Health & Environmental Control said a kitten exposed them to rabies in Anderson County.
    Fourteen people are getting medical treatment after the Department of Health & Environmental Control said a kitten exposed them to rabies in Anderson County.
Powered by WorldNow

250 International Dr.
Spartanburg, S.C. 29303

Telephone: 864.576.7777
Fax: 864.587.5430
Email: webmaster@wspa.com

Can't find something?
Powered by WorldNow
All content © Copyright 2000 - 2014 Media General Communications Holdings, LLC. A Media General Company.