Bear crawls into couple's trunk near Orlando - WSPA.com

Bear crawls into couple's trunk near Orlando

Posted: Updated:
WESH TV image WESH TV image
WESH TV image WESH TV image

(WESH TV, Orlando)

For a University of Central Florida student and his girlfriend, it was supposed to be a relaxing day renting a couple of inner tubes and doing a little tubing down Rock Springs.

Instead, there was a little more adventure than they'd planned for when a Florida black bear crawled in the trunk of their car.

"That was my first encounter with a bear, and I think I've had enough encounters with a bear for the rest of my life," said Jonathan Jenkins.

A bear sighting wasn't part of the inner tubing plans, but when they got to Rock Springs they heard people talking about wildlife.

"We hear people scream 'deer' and we go, 'cool, let's go check out the deer,'" Jenkins said. "We peek over the car and it turns out they actually said bear."

The bear was into some trash so Jenkins snapped some pictures, but something made the bear interested in the inner tube in his trunk.

The tube wouldn't let the lid latch. The couple jumped in the car as the bear closed in.

"I'm like, 'Where's the bear? Where's the bear?' And I'm checking all my mirrors and she goes, 'It's right behind your car, it's right behind your car,' and I feel the car move a little bit and 'It's in your car,'" Jenkins said. "And I look in my rear view mirror and in the gap between the car and my trunk I can see it's seriously in my car. I can see its face, it's looking at me."

A fellow park visitor took photos just before the bear made itself at home. Jenkins decided to make a move.

"I turned the car on and drive in reverse for a few feet with it in the trunk, and when I hit the brakes it got scared and jumped out," Jenkins said.

Off the bear went. Jenkins can't figure out why his trunk was so attractive, he didn't have any food with him. The next bear he wants to see?

"Maybe at a zoo, with a big gate in front of me," Jenkins said.

Earlier, as they were driving to the park, the couple saw a bear crossing sign and Jenkins' girlfriend had said, "Wow, I hope we see a bear!"

Jenkins said next time he hopes she wishes to see a million dollars.

• Don't Miss ItMore>>

Stacie talks to Ellen about season 12, debut on WFLA News Channel 8

Tuesday, September 2 2014 4:20 PM EDT2014-09-02 20:20:57 GMT
    WFLA anchor Stacie Schaible talks with Ellen about her upcoming season on WFLA News Channel 8WFLA anchor Stacie Schaible talks with Ellen about her upcoming season on WFLA News Channel 8
    An enthusiastic crowd had already gathered hours before The Ellen Show was scheduled to tape. When I arrived on the Warner's Brothers lot, I was greeted by one of Ellen's Producers. Though I hoped for a ride in Ellen's golf cart, we walked a few blocks to the set and my behind the scenes tour began.Ellen's studio is massive by Hollywood standards.

Maroon 5 announces Tampa show

Tuesday, September 2 2014 2:58 PM EDT2014-09-02 18:58:11 GMT
    Photo courtesy Facebook/Maroon 5Photo courtesy Facebook/Maroon 5
    Multi platinum-selling and Grammy Award-winning rock band, Maroon 5, revealed details today for The Maroon 5 World Tour 2015 in support of the band's fifth studio album, V.

Where's 'Katharine' been?

Tuesday, September 2 2014 12:35 PM EDT2014-09-02 16:35:30 GMT
    Photo: OCEARCH FacebookPhoto: OCEARCH Facebook
    Katharine, the well-known great white shark tracked by OCEARCH, has been spending a good amount of time outside the Carolinas
  • Most Viewed Stories on WFLA.com

• Sign up for WFLA News Channel 8 Email Alerts

* denotes required fields

Thank you for signing up! You will receive a confirmation email shortly.
  • Top StoriesTop StoriesMore>>

Family: Joan Rivers On Life Support

Tuesday, September 2 2014 2:36 PM EDT2014-09-02 18:36:46 GMT
    Joan Rivers' family is confirming that the comedian is on life support after going into cardiac arrest last week during a procedure at a doctor's office. Her daughter, Melissa Rivers, said in a statement Tuesday that her mother is on life support "at this time."

Coroner: Security Guards Killed By Shotgun In Greenville Co.

Tuesday, September 2 2014 1:14 PM EDT2014-09-02 17:14:19 GMT
    Autopsy results show two security guards found dead at the old Hollingsworth facility in Greenville were killed by shotgun. The Greenville County coroner released autopsy results Tuesday.

Thief Removes Power Meter During Spartanburg Co. Burglary

Tuesday, September 2 2014 12:21 PM EDT2014-09-02 16:21:07 GMT
    Deputies say the burglar attempted to force his way in through the main pedestrian entrance to the building. However, that door has an alarm. Investigators believe, upon hearing the alarm activate, the thief removed the power meter to the building, which silenced the alarm.
Powered by WorldNow

250 International Dr.
Spartanburg, S.C. 29303

Telephone: 864.576.7777
Fax: 864.587.5430
Email: webmaster@wspa.com

Can't find something?
Powered by WorldNow
All content © Copyright 2000 - 2014 Media General Communications Holdings, LLC. A Media General Company.