August 2018 Caring for the Carolinas Award Winner

Caring For The Carolinas

JACK ROPER
This month, our Caring for the Carolina’s award takes us out to Gaffney to visit our August winner, Yolanda Adams-Wray

TALISA ALLEN – LIFELONG FRIEND
She does things with the children in the community, she has senior citizen day once a month when the seniors come out and do bingo, and then gives them a hot free lunch, and I mean a good hot lunch. And then she offers an after school program for the children, they have an awesome robotics team who went to state competition.

JONNA TURNER – EXEC. DIRECTOR CHEROKEE COUNTY CHAMBER
And the impact she’s making with all the students here in Cherokee County goes beyond anything else that I have ever seen anybody do here in Gaffney. If they don’t have a stable home environment, or if they’re struggling at school.

TALISA ALLEN – LIFELONG FRIEND
She started an organization called Sisters and Brothers committed to the community. She has now changed the name to Academic Technology and Wellness Academy.

YOLANDA ADAMS-WRAY – AWARD RECIPIENT
When I was stationed in the military, I got a call that my sister had got kidnapped and murdered. I was 23 at the time. At that time I made the decision that when I do return home I want to try to make a difference in kids’ lives. I wanted them to know that they could become anything that they wanted to, as long as they believe in themselves and worked hard. 

JACK ROPER
Thanks to our sponsors Ingles, Bath Fitter and Unclaimed Furniture for recognizing Yolanda as our award winner for the month of August. Our winner also receives a hundred dollar gift card from Ingles and 50 dollar gift card from Unclaimed Furniture.

Copyright 2019 Nexstar Broadcasting, Inc. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.

Caring for the Carolinas Form at Bottom of page

Fill out myonline form.

Trending Stories

Win Clemson Tickets
Things to Do
Color Your Weather
Pro Football Challenge
wspa news app free for download choose your store below
download the wspa news app from the apple app store
download the wspa news app from the google play store