February 2021 Caring for the Carolinas Award Winners

Caring For The Carolinas

JACK ROPER

Seven News is in Burnsville, North Carolina to presents our next Caring for the Carolinas award to the founders of Feed-A-Child. Robert and Glenda Wyatt began this program to help feed underserved kids in Yancy County schools back in 2007โ€ฆ

BILL WATKINS – VOLUNTEER

I think Robert told us when he talked to our church that he saw this happening in Buncombe County 14 or 15 years agoโ€ฆ

ROBERT WYATT โ€“ AWARD RECIPIENT

Came home and I asked Linda, said โ€œDo you think thatโ€™s going on in our county?โ€ And started checking with some teachers and principals, sure enough. Absolutely.

NANCY WATKINS – VOLUNTEER

Well the Wyatts came to our church at Higgins and did a presentation on Feed-A-Child, and we thought that, after talking to them, we decided that we would volunteer.

ROBERT WYATT โ€“ AWARD RECIPIENT

So we started first year I think we had maybe 50, 70 kids a week, and in the next, just in the next year it went to like 150, then 200, and now weโ€™re, now weโ€™re approaching 500 kids a week

BILL WATKINS – VOLUNTEER

They seem to keep it supplied pretty well, so I think the Wyatts have done an outstanding job for the children of this county.

NANCY WATKINS – VOLUNTEER

I think they probably really appreciate it because I donโ€™t think they have a lot of food.

JACK ROPER

Seven News salutes Robert and Glenda Wyatt with our Caring for the Carolinas award, along with Gift certificates all courtesy of our sponsors: Ingles, Bath Fitter and Unclaimed Furniture!

Copyright 2021 Nexstar Inc. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.

Caring for the Carolinas Form at Bottom of page

Fill out myonline form.
High School Standouts
Ask the Expert
Livin' Upstate
Find A Job
wspa news app free for download choose your store below
download the wspa news app from the apple app store
download the wspa news app from the google play store