Sept. 2018 Caring for the Carolinas Award Winner

Caring For The Carolinas

JACK ROPER
Hi, Jack Roper here in Landrum, getting ready to present our Caring for the Carolinas award for the month of September. We have brother and sister getting the award, Ashby and Abbi Cartee.

LT. COL. (RET) JEFF OWENS – SENIOR ARMY INSTRUCTOR, LANDRUM HS
The Christmas card program that Ashby and Abbi started is really great, because it reaches out to those people who are needing sometimes an uplift. They may not have family, may not be in the area, and it really, I think, brings the community into recognizing veterans.

ASHBY CARTEE – AWARD WINNER
We wanted to do something for those guys that don’t have anybody in our community, to let them know that we appreciate what they did for us.

ABBI CARTEE – AWARD WINNER
We figured out that we can be the reason why those peoples’ faces light up.

CDR. RONNIE RAY – MILITARY ORDER OF THE PURPLE HEART
My job was, “Can you deliver them if we get them made?” And I said “Yeah.” And it has turned into a big ordeal right now.

DAVID WHITAKER – TEACHER (RET) CAMPOBELLO-GRAMLING SCHOOL
Our Superintendent in District One liked the idea and took it district wide. And since it’s gone district wide, each school is participating, and we have sent around 130,000 cards, Campobello-Gramling has sent out around 50,000 themselves.

JACK ROPER
Courtesy of our friends at Ingles, Bath Fitter and Unclaimed Furniture. Congratulations guys, and… applause. Twice as much this time. We have two winners! Our winners also receive a $100 cift card from Ingles and a $50 gift card from Unclaimed Furniture.

Copyright 2019 Nexstar Broadcasting, Inc. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.

Caring for the Carolinas Form at Bottom of page

Fill out myonline form.

Trending Stories

Win Clemson Tickets
Things to Do
Color Your Weather
Pro Football Challenge
wspa news app free for download choose your store below
download the wspa news app from the apple app store
download the wspa news app from the google play store