1 hurt after Gaffney house fire, crews investigating


A home to a family of 9 caught fire early this morning in Gaffney.

It happened in the 200 block of Marion Avenue at Oakland Avenue.

Gaffney Fire Marshal Billy Bishop said the call came in around 2 a.m.

Police initially thought two people were trapped inside, but Bishop says firefighters were able to confirm only one person was trapped.

Crews were able to enter the building and find a man unconscious on the second floor.

They got him out of the house and to an awaiting EMS crew.

He was later airlifted via helicopter to the hospital.

Investigators say 9 people were at the home at the time of te fire. No one else was hurt.

They say the man was overcome by smoke while searching for a family member that was already out of the house.

Bishop says the home is a total loss.

Fire Chief James Caggiano says the fire started on the exterior of the home next to an electrical panel.

The fire spread up the side of the home and into the second floor.

The report says there is no indication that the fire was anything other than an accident.

There were several smoke alarms in the home, but none were operational, according to ther report.

The Gaffney Fire Department and many other departments offer a program to install smoke alarms, free of charge, in the homes of those that cannot afford them or may not be able to install them on their own.

Copyright 2021 Nexstar Inc. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.

Black and Blue Kickoff Live
Pro Football Challenge
Find A Job
wspa news app free for download choose your store below
download the wspa news app from the apple app store
download the wspa news app from the google play store

Trending Stories