BUNCOMBE Co., N.C. (WSPA) -- A man has been charged with second-degree murder in a deadly fentanyl overdose.
Deputies say Kevin Mack Shepherd, 44, of Asheville was charged earlier this week. He was already jailed on a larceny charge.
Shepherd remains in the Buncombe County Detention Center under $313,000 secured bond.
“This was a culmination of many, many hours of investigative work by the professional detectives working here at your Sheriff’s Office and at the Buncombe Co. Anti-Crime Task Force,” Capt. Randy Smart said in a statement.
Smart said law enforcement would continue “to vigorously investigate all drug overdose deaths to determine if criminal liability can be leveled against the drug dealers and traffickers that poison our communities.”
Deputies ask anyone with information about illegal drug sales to call the Buncombe County Anti-Crime Task Force at 828-232-1580 and/or CrimeStoppers at 828-250-5050.
- Copyright 2018 Nexstar Broadcasting, Inc. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.
- Multiple vehicles catch on fire in Carowinds parking lot
- Chipotle testing six new menu items at NYC test kitchen
- From boat makers to farmers, US-led tariff war inflicts pain
- Storms cause downed trees, power lines throughout Upstate
- Spokesman: Lawmaker who defeated U.S. Rep. Mark Sanford in his re-election bid seriously injured in
- Chaos on the border inflames GOP's split with Latinos
- Some House candidates in redrawn district don't live there
- Spanish authorities rescue 569 migrants crossing the Mediterranean from North Africa to Spain by boa