Boy dies after touching electrified fence in Georgia park

News

AUGUSTA, Ga. (AP) – A boy has died after touching a fence that became electrified at a park in east Georgia.

News outlets report 12-year-old Melquan Robinson was at football practice Monday evening in an Augusta park when he grabbed the chain-link fence that had been electrified by a live wire.

Richmond County Coroner Mark Bowen says Melquan was electrocuted. A county sheriff’s office report says two boys and one adult were also injured.

Sheriff’s deputies say Melquan had climbed the fence to retrieve a football. They say the two other children were shocked when they tried to pull Melquan down.

Bowen says authorities are investigating and the city will focus on how the wire energized the fence.

County schools Director of Communications Kaden Jacobs says Melquan was a seventh-grader.
 

Copyright 2020 Nexstar Inc. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.

Mascot Challenge
High School RedZone
Star of the Week
Black and Blue Kickoff Live
Pro Football Challenge
Carolina Eats Contest
Find A Job
Color your Weather
wspa news app free for download choose your store below
download the wspa news app from the apple app store
download the wspa news app from the google play store

Trending Stories