HAZEL CREST, Ill. — A U.S. soldier from the Chicago area was among three people killed in an attack on a military base in Kenya.
WGN has confirmed that 23-year-old Army Specialist Henry Mayfield Jr. of Hazel Crest was killed Sunday. Mayfield joined the Army in 2018.
Two other Americans, both contractors with the U.S. Department of Defense, were also killed.
Members of the extremist group, al-Shabab, overran an airfield near a U.S. Military base, destroying planes and equipment. The airstrip is near the Somalian border and is used by US forces.
Kenya’s military said at least four attackers were killed.
Al-Shabab claimed responsibility for the assault.
- Local leaders get vaccinated against Covid-19, encourage others to get inoculated
- McConnell seeks to push Trump impeachment trial to February
- Spartanburg Co. plant to close, 400 people to be laid off
- 5 killed in blaze at Indian producer of COVID-19 vaccine
- Widow of La. congressman-elect qualifies to run for the seat her husband won