A chemical leak at a plant in Greenwood forced some residents to leave their homes overnight.
It happened at the Carolina Pride packing plant off New Market Street around 12:30 am.
The meat packing plant began leaking Anhydrous Ammonia which is known to cause eye and throat irritation.
Nearby residents were notified, some by the Code Red alert system used in Greenwood County.
Others were notified by first responders knocking on doors in neighborhoods affected by the chemical leak.
There was a shelter set up at Emerald High School for those evacuated to rest and eat.
Some people were not able to evacuate for various reasons, health officials advised those people to not use heating or cooling systems so they wouldn’t draw in Ammonia air from outside.
Greenwood Police say there were no reported injuries related to the chemical leak.
Fire officials and South Carolina Department of Health and Environmental Control personnel tested the area for concentration levels of Ammonia before Code Red advised people it was okay to return home.
If you would like to sign up for Code Red to receive health, weather and emergency notifications, follow this link: https://www.greenwoodsc.gov/countywebsite/index.aspx?page=697