ANDERSON CO., SC (WSPA) - The owner of an Anderson County convenience store has been arrested, accused of not paying taxes on almost $1 million in unreported sales.
According to the South Carolina Department of Revenue, Meseret Kifle of Powder Springs, GA was arrested and charged with four counts of tax evasion.
Kifle owns the SunCity Food Store in Anderson County.
The Department of Revenue says Kifle filed monthly tax returns reporting $351,804 in taxable sales from January 2014 through April 2017. Investigators say the actual taxable sales totaled $1,282,493 and evaded paying $62,360 in sales tax to the state.
Kifle is being held in the Anderson County Detention Center and faces fines of up to $10,000 and/or five years in prison for each count.
- Copyright 2018 Nexstar Broadcasting, Inc. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.
- Human remains found where missing woman was last seen in Greenville Co.
- As driving ban lifted, Saudi women in crosshairs of change
- Tree crashes across home, garage seconds after man gets out of car
- Planes pulled to raise money for Ronald McDonald House in Greenville