ANDERSON, S.C. (WSPA) — Crews in Anderson responded to a fire at an apartment complex Saturday evening.

According to the Anderson Fire Department, firefighters were called to the Tanglewood Apartments on Marchbanks Avenue shortly before 8 p.m.

When firefighters arrived, they said two apartments on the second floor of a building were on fire.

The fire was extinguished about 30 minutes after firefighters arrived, according to Anderson Fire Chief Charlie King.

“Two apartment units were completely destroyed by fire, and another 10 were ruled uninhabitable due to smoke and water damage to those,” King said.

Kathryn Bridwell told 7NEWS she was evacuated by firefighters.

“I was in bed watching television with my dogs and got a bang on the door saying they’re the fire department, and everybody needed to get out because our unit was on fire,” Bridwell explained. “I got my dogs and came out. It was scary because I know this is all wood, and it would go up very quickly.”

An investigation determined the fire started in a second floor apartment.

“In interviewing the occupants from the apartment where the fire originated from and findings from the fire marshal, it was determined to be unattended cooking in one of the upstairs apartments that got away and started the fire,” King explained. “It quickly spread to a second apartment and into the roof of the building.”

The American Red Cross said it is assisting 12 people impacted by the fire.