Crews respond to nursing home fire in Spartanburg


SPARTANBURG, SC (WSPA) – A Spartanburg senior living facility was evacuated after a cooking fire spread smoke through the hallways.

The fire happened shortly after 9 p.m. Tuesday at Pacifica Senior Living on Skylyn Drive. 

Firefighters said the fire started after a resident fell asleep while cooking.

There were reportedly no working smoke detectors in that unit, and sprinklers at the facility put out the fire. The sprinkler system is back up and running at this time.

A Drayton Fire Department’s fire marshal said on Wednesday that the room where the fire happened is unlivable, and has water and fire damage.

According to the fire marshal, some other rooms underneath that unit also have water damage.

The fire marshal said they will be conducting more inspections to get a complete estimate on damage at the facility.

No one was reportedly hurt. 

“She’s very lucky the sprinkler system did what it’s designed to do. Had the sprinkler system not been in there then this probably would’ve turned out a different scenario,” Drayton Deputy Fire Marshall Todd Mason said.

Investigators will look into the lack of a working smoke detector in the unit. 

Drayton, Whitney, Converse, city of Spartanburg and Glendale fire crews responded to the scene. 

Copyright 2020 Nexstar Broadcasting, Inc. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.

Trending Stories

Livin Upstate Deals
Engagement and Wedding Announcements
Remarkable Women
Things To Do
wspa news app free for download choose your store below
download the wspa news app from the apple app store
download the wspa news app from the google play store