COLUMBIA, SC (WSPA) - The S.C. Department of Corrections (SCDOC) has sent dozens of inmates out of state to a private prison.
Prison officials say 48 inmates were moved to a medium-security prison in Mississippi.
SCDOC says the move involved "problematic" inmates that pose a danger to others.
This comes just a few months after the deadly riot at Lee Correctional Institution in which seven inmates were killed.
That's the highest death toll at a U.S. prison in 25 years.
The for-profit prison in Mississippi is managed by a company called Core Civic that posted more than $1.7 billion dollars in revenue last year.
PREVIOUS COVERAGE: Deadly SC prison riot result of territory fights, cell phones, officials say
- Copyright 2018 Nexstar Broadcasting, Inc. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.
- Gaffney man gunned down while walking walk home
- Pres. Trump fires off explosive threat to Iran's leader
- Man firing into Toronto cafes shoots 14 people, killing 2
- Man dies following shooting at Asheville apartment complex