SPARTANBURG, S.C. (WSPA) – The Zika virus may have you more focused this year on mosquito repellents, but with so many on the market, the search for the right one can be overwhelming.
Consumer Reports has done the homework for you.
It tested 16 new products using volunteers who were exposed to 200 disease-free mosquitoes.
It found three ingredients are the most effective: DEET, oil of lemon eucalyptus and picaridin.
- Sawyer’s Fisherman’s Formula Picaridin
- Ben’s 30% DEET Tick & Insect Wilderness Formula
- Natrapel 8 Hour, with 20% picaridin
- Off! Deepwoods VIII, with 25% DEET
- Repel Lemon Eucalyptus , with 30% lemon eucalyptus
- Repel Scented Family, with 15% DEET
Consumer Reports does not recommend using a product that is higher than 30% DEET.
Consumer Reports recommends skipping any products made only with natural plant oil like Geraniol, rosemary, cinnamon and lemongrass.
In testing, they lasted only an hour against the Aedes Mosquito, some not even that long.
They also suggest you not purchase an item based on ingredients alone; concentration and inactive ingredients do make a difference.
Click Here to see the test results from the study.