MOORESVILLE, N.C. (WNCN) – Sen. Thom Tillis (R) declared victory over Cal Cunningham (D) Tuesday night as votes continued to be counted in North Carolina.
“What we accomplished tonight was a stunning victory,” Tillis said.
The incumbent senator said he was waiting to hear from Cunningham before speaking to his supporters but decided he needed to address the race.
Tillis said his victory came against all the odds. Polls had the senator down against Cunningham but the race was shaken by news of infidelity by Cunningham.
Cunningham was scheduled to speak at Democratic Party Headquarters in Raleigh but around midnight, it was announced he would not deliver any remarks.
- Illinois man discovers 19th-century tunnel beneath his property
- Millions of cicadas set to emerge after 17 years
- What to do if you got the J&J vaccine as CDC, FDA call for pause
- US recommends ‘pause’ for J&J vaccine over clot reports
- Myrtle Beach area restaurant workers see rise in rude customers, face understaffing issues