Spartanburg, S.C. (WSPA) — A family is without a home after a fire damaged their Spartanburg house.
North Spartanburg, Hilltop and City of Spartanburg fire crews responded shortly after 8 a.m. Wednesday. The house is on Midnight Star Trail near Monks Grove Church Road.
North Spartanburg Assistant Fire Chief Brent Lewis said no one was injured in the fire.
A woman had returned home with one of her children after taking another child to school when she noticed a smell and discovered the fire in a bedroom, Lewis said.
Mother and child got out of the house. Her husband was at work at the time.
Chief Lewis said fire damage was limited to one room but other parts of the house were damaged by smoke, leaving the family temporarily displaced.
Chief Lewis said there could have been a different outcome had the fire happened at night since there were no working smoke alarms in the house. He stressed the importance of smoke detectors.
The Red Cross is helping the family with financial assistance for food, clothing, lodging and other essentials.
October is Fire Prevention Month.
The Red Cross suggests the following tips to lower the chance of a house fire:
- Make sure your heating sources are clean and properly maintained.
- Fix or replace frayed extension cords, exposed wires or loose plugs.
- Make sure electrical outlets have cover plates and no exposed wiring.
- Ensure extension cords and other wiring is not placed under rugs, attached by nails or placed in high traffic areas.
- Avoid overloading outlets or extension cords.
- Store flammable materials in open areas away from sources of heat.
The fire has been ruled an accident.