Federal funding approved for VA nursing home in Cherokee Co.


CHEROKEE Co., SC (WSPA) – A nursing home for veterans is a step closer here in the Upstate.

Officials are working to establish the facility in Cherokee County.

The federal government has approved funding its portion of the cost. 

Local veterans said this could benefit the community even beyond those who’ve served the country.

We caught up with some of them at the American Legion Cherokee Post 109.

“We’ve got one local veteran that I know of that’s at the Anderson facility and it’s like a 90-minute drive each way for the elderly wife,” Robert Little said.

Her commute would be much shorter if a facility is built closer to home.  

“It was a pleasant surprise,” said Cherokee County Veterans Affairs Officer Todd Humphries.

He said it’s news they thought would take several years – the federal government approving its portion of roughly $40 million to build a 108 bed nursing home for veterans on 35 acres off Hampshire Drive. He said 85 percent of the nursing home is being funded by the VA (Veterans Affairs), and the other 15 percent from the state.

“It’s going to be a very nice facility with security and very nice grounds,” Humphries said.

He said Cherokee County is paying for the land, and it’s an investment expected to impact the county’s economy through jobs during and after construction.

“As long as we have veterans, we’ll have this nursing home so this is a forever business coming to our community,” Humphries said. “We think it’s just a great opportunity to serve our community.”

It’s a community whose veterans could get to live a little closer to home.

“Especially the elderly people that are disabled… They need help,” Martin said.

Copyright 2021 Nexstar Media Inc. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.

High School Standouts
Ask the Expert
Find A Job
wspa news app free for download choose your store below
download the wspa news app from the apple app store
download the wspa news app from the google play store