GREENVILLE COUNTY, S.C. (WSPA) – Several roadways are closed or washed out in Greenville County as a result of this week’s flooding.
“A lot of the roads couldn’t even be assessed until earlier this morning because the roads were still underwater,” Chris Madden, assistant district maintenance engineer with SCDOT, said.
Madden said on Wednesday, up to 48 roads were closed in Greenville County alone. All but nine were reopened on Thursday.
“Of those nine roads five of them are being worked on as we speak,” Madden said.
Spots like Rison Road have had the road washed away, and ther areas like Gethsemane Drive just have some shoulder damage. Perhaps the worst damage happening in the Greer area.
“That road there started out as what looked like a dip in the roadway and there were still cars going over it and it was just a matter of minutes before that road collapsed,” Madden said.
On Fews Chapel Road, it was the site of a massive sinkhole.
“Just constant heavy downpours,” nearby homeowner Judy Stansell said.
Stansell said she frequents that route.
“Our biggest store is Dollar General so its going to be hard to get to,” she said.
Madden said many of the roads will be fixed over the next few days, but others with extensive damage could take much longer.
“Those are going to take several weeks to maybe even a couple of months to repair because they’re going to need to be replaced or totally repaired,” he said.
He encourages drivers to check road closures before they head out, and make sure to obey the closures.
“We encourage the public to please not go around the barricades they’re there for a purpose,” Madden said.
- Rison Road: Closed from Hwy 123 – Easley Bridge Road to Koswell Dr in both directions
- Crestwood Drive: Closed from Garden Terrace to Crestwood Forest in both directions
- N. Parker Road: Closed from Poinsett Highway to Davidson Road in both directions
- N. Parker Road: Closed at Wakefield Lane in both directions
- Delmar Avenue: Closed from Edgewater Lane to Pisgah Drive in both directions
- Mountain Creek Road: Closed from Beaumont Creek Lane to State Park Road SC 253 in both directions
- Donahue Road: Closed at Blueberry Hill in both directions
- Pleasant Hill Road: Closed from Stringer Road to SC 414 in both directions.
- Oak Grove Road – Landrum: Closed from Lockhart Circle to Pierce Drive in both directions.
- Stringer Road in Greer
- Keith Drive is Closed for assessment at this time
For a full list of road closures across the Upstate click here.