Iran says it has broken stockpile limit set by nuclear deal

News

FILE – In this June 10, 2019, file photo, Iranian Foreign Minister Mohammad Javad Zarif speaks during a press conference with his German counterpart Heiko Maas after their talks in Tehran, Iran. Iran rejects a U.S. accusation against Tehran over suspected attacks on two oil tankers near the strategic Strait of Hormuz. Zarif in an early Friday, June 14, 2019, tweet called the accusations part of a plot by hawkish politicians in the U.S. and the region. (AP Photo/Ebrahim Noroozi, File)

TEHRAN, Iran (AP) — Iran’s foreign minister says it has surpassed the limit on its stockpile of low-enriched uranium set by the 2015 nuclear deal with world powers.

The state-run IRNA news agency quoted Mohammad Javad Zarif as making the announcement Monday.

The deal limited Iran to 300 kilograms of uranium enriched up to 3.67%.

IRNA reported that Zarif, answering a reporter’s question about whether Iran had broken the limit, said: “Yes.”

The report did not elaborate.

This represents the first time Iran has broken one of the limits set by the accord. President Donald Trump withdrew the U.S. from the nuclear deal last year and restored heavy economic sanctions on Iran, which recently said it would back away from its commitments if the deal is not renegotiated.

Copyright 2019 Associated Press. All rights reserved.

Copyright 2020 Nexstar Broadcasting, Inc. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.

Senior Standouts
Graduate Gallery
Livin Upstate Deals
Engagement and Wedding Announcements
Things To Do
wspa news app free for download choose your store below
download the wspa news app from the apple app store
download the wspa news app from the google play store

Trending Stories