BUNCOMBE COUNTY, NC (WSPA) – Jury selection continued Wednesday in the trial of a man accused of shooting and killing a woman and her unborn child, as well as injuring her young son back in 2016.
We reported earlier that Nathaniel Dixon was charged after he reportedly shot and killed Candace Pickens and her unborn child on May 12, as well as shot Pickens’ young son, who was shot in the head.
Pickens was found dead on an Asheville elementary school playground. She was shot in the face.
Dixon was arrested shortly after the incident in Columbus, Ohio, and booked into the Buncombe County Detention Center, where he was charged with first-degree murder, first-degree murder of an unborn child and attempted murder.
Buncombe County Clerk of Superior Court Steve Cogburn said 12 jurors have been seated, but said they are still in the process of selecting four alternate jurors.
Cogburn said the trial is estimated to last through June.
Buncombe County District Attorney Todd Williams previously confirmed prosecutors plan to seek the death penalty against Dixon.