ANDERSON, S.C. (WSPA) – The American Red Cross is helping nearly 20 people after a fire damaged multiple units at Oak Place Apartments in Anderson.
Anderson Fire Chief Jimmy Sutherland said firefighters responded to the scene at just before 9 p.m. and finished up a little after 11 p.m.
Chief Sutherland said he’s glad his team was so quick to the call.
“It could’ve been worser, we’ve had apartment fires worser, but this one here we had a lot of, we had two apartments damaged by fire and the rest was just smoke and water damage.”
Sutherland said the fire may have been caused by an electrical malfunction, but they will continue to investigate.
According to the Red Cross, more than a half dozen units were damaged.
Red Cross team members and volunteers responded, both in-person and virtually, to provide comfort kits, containing person hygiene items, and financial assistance for immediate needs.
Executive Director of the Red Cross Upstate Chapter, Lisa Colby, said Wednesday night they placed several of the people affected in temporary homes.
“Walking them through the steps of recovery is sometimes as simple, simple questions as do you have a place to stay tonight, do you have family or friends you can be with? If not you don’t have a safe place, do you have resources to get one? If not, we can provide them,” Colby said.
“Our thoughts are with everyone impacted by last night’s large fire and the Red Cross of South Carolina remains committed to helping them recover amid this COVID-19 pandemic,” Colby said. “This week kicked off National Preparedness month and this is an unfortunate reminder that emergencies can happen anywhere, at any time. It is important for families to prepare for home fires by creating a family escape plan and test their smoke alarms every month. We remain committed to supporting our communities while keeping our team and those we serve, safe.”