WALHALLA, SC (WSPA) – Lightning sparked a fire which damaged a firefighter’s home in Walhalla, Wednesday afternoon.
According to Walhalla Fire Chief Brandon Burton, lightning struck a tree next to the house on South Oak Street. The fire then spread to the home.
Burton said the firefighter’s son was home at the time and called the fire department when he saw and smelled smoke around 5:30 p.m.
Firefighters were able to quickly put out the blaze.
The house suffered some damage, mostly from water.
The family is expected to be out of their home for at least one night and is being assisted by the Red Cross.
Nobody was hurt in the fire and the Walhalla Fire Department is investigating.
Local business are accepting donations for the family.
Burton said the family lost many items and are dealing with the emotional distress of the fire.
Two locations have been set up as drop points:
McNeely Store and Rental
833 Anderson St, West Union, SC 29696
Ultimate Hair Salon
722 W North 1st St- Suite B, Seneca, SC 29678.
Donations may also be dropped off at the Walhalla Fire Department.
207 E North Broad St, Walhalla, SC 29691.