UNION CO, S.C. (WSPA) – Deputies arrested 16 in Union County in one day last week.
On Thursday, Feb. 16, the Union County Sheriff’s Office, South Carolina Law Enforcement Division (SLED), Department of Natural Resources, and the state Department of Probation, Parole and Pardon Services (PPP) served 24 warrants and arrested 16 people on a variety of charges.
“There were some really bad guys, we actually had one fugitive from justice that we picked up that morning. Several other arrests, a couple guys had domestic violence charges, which is very serious,” said Sheriff Jeff Bailey.
This round-up took weeks of planning with the agencies taking an all hands on deck approach.
“When you have all these people, we’ve got to get on the same page,” said Sheriff Bailey. “That’s how we organized that morning and had our meeting and set our goals for what we were going to try to do, what time and how.”
Sheriff Bailey said with all the agencies involved, they had more tools at their disposal.
“So, when they bring that equipment to the table, we try to find our worst and try to pick them up and get them off the streets, as long as we can,” he said.
They also randomly selected 19 registered sex offenders to see if they were complying.
“We had some that had changed their residence and we tried to work that day to track them down and find out where they were, they were arrested,” said the sheriff. “We actually had people who had not reported their address or come in and report for their yearly.”
The sheriff said the people arrested are not first-time offenders.
“That’s what’s frustrating, it’s the same old people that we arrest. We pick up and it’s just, you know, a reoccurring problem,” he said.
He said a lot of them get out of custody on bonds.
“We constantly arrest them and then they make bond, their cases are still pending. So, some of them might be out on three or four bonds,” said Sheriff Bailey.
“So, it’s a problem but you just can’t take people to jail and house them, everyone is entitled to a bond.”
Sheriff Bailey said the men and women behind the badge are working hard.
“We’re doing our best to keep them off the street, because they’re a nuisance to the public, and we don’t want that,” he said.
“We’re trying to do our best. I promise, I promise people we’re doing our best to get these folks.”
Those arrested are:
- Michael Ray Brannon III on one charge for unlawful conduct toward a child/helpless person.
- Travis William Austin on four charges for possession with the intent to distribute Methamphetamine 2nd offense, possession with the intent to distribute of Marijuana 2nd and sub. Offense, and two counts of Distribution of schedule I II drugs or crack cocaine to a person under 18.
- Timothy Wayne Brooks on one charge for Fugitive from Justice.
- Erica Harley Brown was arrested on three warrants. One for Possession of Controlled substance in schedule I to V 1st offense; one for possession of cocaine base (crack); and one for possession of marijuana.
- Robert Edward Lee Fowler on arrested on one warrant for Failure to Register as a sex offender – 2nd offense.
- Jessica Rose Gill was arrested for Hindering.
- Joseph Matthew Henderson was arrested on one charge for Unlawful Neglect Toward Child/Helpless person.
- Joshua Ernest Inman was arrested on a traffic stop for Possession of Methamphetamine < 1 GRAM 1st and for having no South Carolina driver’s license.
- Dierris Gerard Jeter was arrested on three warrants. One for Domestic Violence in the third degree; Domestic Violence first degree; and Strong Armed Robbery. He also has a pending warrant for violation of Probation.
- Albert Clayton Morris III was arrested on one Magistrate Court bench warrant.
- Ebonie Clay Proctor was arrested on one warrant for Possession of Marijuana 1st offense.
- Tyler Allen Raines was arrested on two warrants. One was for possession of Marijuana 1st and another for Possession of Methamphetamine 1st.
- Grady Lee Trammell was arrested on one warrant for Unlawful Possession of firearm or ammunition by person convicted of Domestic Violence in the third degree.
- Dezmond Tobias Tucker was arrested on three warrants. Two counts of possession with the intent to distribute a schedule I drug (B)(C) Narcotics/LSD or Schedule II narcotic 1st offense; and possession with the intent to distribute schedule I II III drug or flunitrazepam – 1st.
- Christina Micheala Watts was arrested on one warrant for unlawful neglect of child/helpless person.
Sheriff Bailey said they will be going through the rest of the sex offender list in the future.