Macon Co. man pleads guilty to setting wildfires

News
keith-mann-for-web_280649

ASHEVILLE, N.C. (AP) – Court documents say a Macon County man has pleaded guilty to a federal charge of setting wildfires on U.S. Forest Service land.

The Asheville Citizen-Times reports that a criminal complaint says 49-year-old Keith Mann of Franklin pleaded guilty Wednesday to one charge in connection with wildfires that burned a total of 16 acres in October. He had been arrested in November.

In court documents, Mann said he “wanted to see something burn,” adding that his wife recently left him and he didn’t have “much to live for.” He wrote on one document that he needs help.RELATEDNC man says he set fires because he was bored

The U.S. attorney says Mann could face between five and 20 years in prison.

During last fall, 27 fires burned in the Nantahala National Forest. Just one was caused by a lightning strike.

Copyright 2020 Nexstar Inc. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.

Mascot Challenge
High School RedZone
Star of the Week
Black and Blue Kickoff Live
Pro Football Challenge
Carolina Eats Contest
Find A Job
Color your Weather
wspa news app free for download choose your store below
download the wspa news app from the apple app store
download the wspa news app from the google play store

Trending Stories