GREENVILLE, S.C. (WSPA) – Organizations in the Upstate are gearing up to honor the life and legacy of Martin Luther King Jr.
Many believe it’s not a day off, but a day on to live out his mission of uplifting the community.
On Friday morning, Furman University got an early start by celebrating with a breakfast to pray for peace and end gun violence.
But the Upstate has a host of events happening throughout the week.
The Rainbow PUSH Coalition will be hosting a week of events starting this Saturday with an HBCU day and ending with a gala on next Saturday with many special guests.
According to the Rainbow PUSH coalition Greenville Chairperson Davida Mathis, the special guests include Judge Hatchett, U.S. Senate candidate Jaime Harrison and Rev. Jackson.
In the week before the gala, they hope to educate young kids of the importance of science, technology, engineering, art, math through fun experiments and demonstrations.
They will also give high school students the chance to get early acceptance to their favorite HBCU this Saturday.
For a list of events, visit the Rainbow PUSH coalition website.
Here’s a list of other events happening in the Upstate:
- A day of service – Jan. 20 at 8:30 a.m. – Furman Uiversity Breakfast and check-in at the Trone Student Center, Furman University 2nd Floor Atrium 9:30 a.m.–12:30 p.m.
- MLK Privet Work Day at Cottonwood – Jan. 20 from 9 a.m. – noon – SPACE is hosting an MLK Day of Service volunteer work day out on Cottonwood trail!
- MLK Day Camp at TCMU-Spartanburg – Jan. 20 from 9 a.m. – noon – Join Us As We Learn About The Legacy Of Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. And About Bravery, Peace And Kindness. Plus Some Yoga For Kids And Museum Play!
- MLK Day of Service Period Party – Jan. 20 from 9 – 11 a.m. – Donations needed at SMC Studio in Spartanburg
- United Way of the Piedmont Martin Luther King Day of Service – Jan. 20 from 9 a.m. – 3 p.m.
- MLK Day Mentoring Event – Jan. 20 at 9:30 a.m. – Furman University Middle and high-school students will have a chance to learn about college life.
- MLK Day of Service Cleaning – Jan. 20 from 9: 30 – 11 a.m. – Spartanburg Shares at 137 South Dean Street, Spartanburg
- 2020 King Legacy Week STEAMStart – Jan. 20 10 a.m. – 2 p.m. – We invite after-school groups, youth organizations, and students in grades 1 – 8 to a day of fun and discovery with science and technology!
- MLK Day of Service Litter Pickup – Jan. 20 at 11 a.m. – Conestee Park near the baseball field
- MLK Day Litter Sweep – Jan. 20 from 1 – 3 p.m. – Meet at the Unitarian Universalist Church of Spartanburg (210 Henry Place) at 1:00 pm.
- MLK Unity Celebration – Jan. 20 6:30 p.m. – Spartanburg Memorial Auditorium
- I Have A Dream Paint & Sip – Jan. 20 6:30 – 8:30 p.m. – Wine and Design at 1175 Woods Crossing Rd, Greenville
- MLK Interfaith Celebration – Jan. 20 at 7 p.m. – Daniel Memorial Chapel at Furman University Dr. Chanequa Walker-Barnes, a theologian and psychologist, will lead the celebration.