NC Gov. asks FEMA to cover 100% of initial Florence response costs

News
APTOPIX Tropical Weather North Carolina_1537562385553

Farm buildings are inundated with floodwater from Hurricane Florence near Trenton, N.C., Sunday, Sept. 16, 2018. (AP Photo/Steve Helber)

RALEIGH, NC (WSPA) – North Carolina Governor Roy Cooper has asked President Donald Trump for FEMA to 100% of the initial disaster response costs for the state in the wake of Hurricane Florence.

They say FEMA typically covers 75% of the costs with the remaining 25% covered by the state.

“North Carolinians are a resilient people, but the recovery from this storm will take years and will require continued assistance from our federal partners as we rebuild our state following two major hurricanes in the same area of our state in two years,” Governor Cooper wrote in the letter to the president.

READ: Full letter from Gov. Cooper to Pres. Trump

Florence has killed 31 people in North Carolina and nearly 5,000 people have been rescued.

Portions of Interstates 40 and 95 remain closed due to devastating flooding.

Copyright 2020 Nexstar Broadcasting, Inc. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.

Mascot Challenge
High School RedZone
Star of the Week
Black and Blue Kickoff Live
Pro Football Challenge
Destination Vacation
Find A Job
Greenville Triumph Game
wspa news app free for download choose your store below
download the wspa news app from the apple app store
download the wspa news app from the google play store

Trending Stories