Gov. Cooper announces N.C. K-12 schools will continue remote learning for rest of school year

News

RALEIGH, NC (WSPA) – During a news conference Friday afternoon, Gov. Roy Cooper announced K-12 schools in North Carolina will continue remote learning for the remainder of the school year.

Trying to watch on mobile? Click here.

“School classrooms may be closed, but the learning is not over,” Cooper said.

Cooper said the decision to close was made with help from State Superintendent Mark Johnson and the Chairman of the State Board of Education Eric Davis.

“We don’t make this decision lightly, but it’s important to protect the health and safety of our students and our school staff,” Cooper said.

On March 15, Cooper signed an executive order that closed K-12 public schools until March 30. He later extended that order.

“When we closed schools to in-person instruction last month, we knew it would be difficult for a lot of students, especially those who lack high-speed internet, good food or the safety and security that the school building offers,” Cooper said.

The governor said the COVID-19 pandemic will affect next school year – saying it will not be “business as usual.”

“There will be new measures in place to protect health when school buildings open again next year,” he said.

Copyright 2021 Nexstar Inc. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.

High School Standouts
Ask the Expert
Livin' Upstate
Find A Job
wspa news app free for download choose your store below
download the wspa news app from the apple app store
download the wspa news app from the google play store