RALEIGH, N.C. (AP) – A North Carolina man’s body has been exhumed from a grave site on a court order after a funeral home discovered it’d mistakenly sold the same plot twice.
WRAL reports Kizzie Sewell bought a plot at Montlawn Cemetery in Raleigh for her husband, Winfred Barnes, upon his death in 2014. But last year, Sewell says Montlawn informed her they realized they’d already sold her husband’s plot to another customer who started paying for it six months before Barnes was buried there. On Wednesday, Barnes’ body was dug up after five years in the plot.
A judge ruled the man with the original contract was entitled to the site. Montlawn said in a statement to the outlet that they abided by the court order.
Information from: WRAL-TV, http://www.wral.com
Copyright 2019 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.