School Bus Engine Smoke Causes Evacuation

News

Greenville, S.C. (WSPA) –  A Greenville County school bus is out of commission after a faulty valve caused the engine to smoke.

It happened Thursday morning as a bus driver was taking nearly 30 students to Southside High School. The school district says a valve dumped fuel on the engine causing it to smoke.

The driver pulled over and evacuated all the students.

“We really are so thankful for this bus driver for very quickly identifying the fact that there was something wrong based on what he was seeing in his mirrors,” said Beth Brotherton, spokeswoman for Greenville County Schools.

The bus in question is a Thomas 95 model which the state superintendent wants to replace amid concerns of overheating and potential fires. About 800 of those buses are used in districts across South Carolina.

While the state works to replace those buses, some districts have installed sensors in the engine to detect overheating.

Copyright 2020 Nexstar Inc. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.

Mascot Challenge
High School RedZone
Star of the Week
Black and Blue Kickoff Live
Pro Football Challenge
Carolina Eats Contest
Find A Job
Greenville Triumph Game
wspa news app free for download choose your store below
download the wspa news app from the apple app store
download the wspa news app from the google play store

Trending Stories